Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice-- I believe Mercedes intended to take the 190 Group B rallying but was simply too heavy to be competitive . The debut of the new rally 190e 2.3-16 was evidently at a promotional event at the Nurburgring track on May12 1984. Nine world champions from 3 generations lined up in identical cars including Nicki Lauda and numerous F1 drivers. They were all beaten on the day by a new kid on the block---- one Ayrton Senna. :cool:

Nice-- I believe Mercedes intended to take the 190 Group B rallying but was simply too heavy to be competitive . The debut of the new rally 190e 2.3-16 was evidently at a promotional event at the Nurburgring track on May12 1984. Nine world champions from 3 generations lined up in identical cars including Nicki Lauda and numerous F1 drivers. They were all beaten on the day by a new kid on the block---- one Ayrton Senna. :cool:

I'm not so sure about the rallying story any more ever since a member on mercedes-190.co.uk bumped into a chap who worked on the design teem for the engine/ cylinder head at Coaworth back in the day. He stated that Mercedes always intended to use the car in DTM. Hence why it was launched a the Nurburgring.

The original engines produced 320bhp and had to be de tuned for the road going cars by having smaller inlet abd outlet ports, milder cams and a more sedate road going fuel injection set up. The Kugelfischer injection system was replaced with Bosch KE-Jet.

AMG was later brought in to help Mercedes run the DTM cars.

You could even buy an AMG power pack for the road going cars that came with higher lifting cams among other parts.

Last edited:
mercedes pulled the 190 out of the rally as they couldnt compete with audi and didnt want to be shown up so to speak.the evo1 is my dream car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom