1945 Night Bombers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
An interesting watch.

For the record, as far as I know, FIDO isn't the name of the crews dog! :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

An interesting watch.
Yes, I watched that on Amazon Prime last week.

Fascinating stuff, including that Lancaster bombers didn't "wear out" as they only had an average flying lifetime of 40hrs before they were shot down :eek:

An interesting watch.

For the record, as far as I know, FIDO isn't the name of the crews dog! :)

It was a black lab as I recall.

Well just watched it,a amazing colour film of a bomber crew going to war,one of the things that struck me was that there could be no back sliding no it was not me,it was you and a telephone and you answered it and logged it and acted on it,you signed things and it was countersigned in fact you were responsible for your small part in that operation,all tht has been lost today where teams and computers dilute the need to correctly do your job.

Well just watched it,a amazing colour film of a bomber crew going to war,one of the things that struck me was that there could be no back sliding no it was not me,it was you and a telephone and you answered it and logged it and acted on it,you signed things and it was countersigned in fact you were responsible for your small part in that operation,all tht has been lost today where teams and computers dilute the need to correctly do your job.
I’m not so sure about that, paper records can be lost or destroyed, electronic files live on.

I have an ongong debate with my son about his generation (millenials) and younger. I honestly do not believe that they (in general) have the same "intestinal fortitude” as the generations that fought in WW 1&2.

Well I agree with you,that film showed a clever young man who became a pilot of a Lancaster he and his crew survived and after he never flew a plane again,he did a job and after it was over he just returned to ordinary life without the help of shrinks,they were just made of sterner stuff.

I have an ongong debate with my son about his generation (millenials) and younger. I honestly do not believe that they (in general) have the same "intestinal fortitude” as the generations that fought in WW 1&2.
Something that can only be tested in war - an experiment we can do without.
Wondering though if you've presented your 'belief' to any of today's squaddies - and what the outcome would be if you ever did.

Well I agree with you,that film showed a clever young man who became a pilot of a Lancaster he and his crew survived and after he never flew a plane again,he did a job and after it was over he just returned to ordinary life without the help of shrinks,they were just made of sterner stuff.
Balls

I’m not so sure about that, paper records can be lost or destroyed, electronic files live on.

You might think ....

But digital stuff is often surprisingly difficult to preserve properly.

Electronic files may “live on,” but the data proliferation is so great that there isn’t the ability to control and comb through the records.

The recent RBS money laundering case is an excellent example. Simpler controls of an earlier generation would have highlighted millions of pounds in bin bags full of cash being deposited in one branch. All that now gets lost in impersonal to big too fail automated banking operations. Bureaucratic controls exist but no-one’s really checking the basics.

Here's an image of my Dad.

He and my Mum split when I was around 7 years old, so I don't remember that much of him, but I recall the skin on his legs being purple up to around knee height as a result of being burned and being told this happened when he was shot down.

1640488213970.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom