1960's Monaco Grand Prix Sky TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
For those of us that have both Sky TV and rose tinted glasses:cool: :devil: and perhaps enjoy a different style of Formula 1 racing, then channel 442 is for U :D tonight from 5pm. There are two thirty minute highlights of the 1965 and 69 GP's followed by a resume of Stirling Moss's career. I'm not a great fan of this driver, but recognise his achievements when 'Men were men' :)

Channel 442 from 5pm tonight.

Happy motoring,
John

Cheers!

1956 Monaco GP was a classic - would like to see that.

Cheers!

:eek:

Well spotted John, many, many thanks for the info. Absolutely pure magic, almost shocking seeing pedestrians on the pavement while F1 cars go past at up to 120 mph and kerbs rather than armco. A young Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill, Stirling Moss, his career over in the crash of 62 talking about how he'd love to take part, what a treat! Banning of aerofoils, never mind, "with four wheel drive on the horizon for next year, F1 will be transformed........"

And followed by Eamon Andrews interviewing Stirling Moss....

For a good hour and a half I was lost in the past, seeing the Lotus 72 after all these years, Brabham, BRM, Vanwall, Maserati. What a treat! Racing without seat belts because of the fire hazard!

I do think Stirling was right though, that with the over emphasis on safety, the heart has gone out of the sport, you can force someone off the road knowing that he, or you if you get caught up, will get off lightly, and you can push that bit harder knowing your life is not on the line. I don't know, goodness knows I don't like to see people killed, but.........

Once again, many thanks John for spotting that, you've made my day.

Anybody with a DVD recorder record it?

John

I don't have Sky - could I impose?

Thanks
:) I've just checked and could not see it for the coming week, but I'm sure we can keep our eyes open.

I must confess that it was more a nostalgic trip down memory lane as opposed to out and out racing.

Regards
John

Note to self: must get Sky. Just the thing to watch on a wet bank holiday.
By the way John, why not a fan of Moss? He was my boyhood hero, before Jimmy Clarke came along. Surely the '55 Mille Miglia in the SLR with Jenks would give him some brownie points?

Surely the '55 Mille Miglia in the SLR with Jenks would give him some brownie points?
:) Definitely NO arguement from me on that excellent point. I suppose I'm influenced by my peers. As a child I was taken to watch the British Grand Prix and I can always recall the adults criticising Stirling Moss for his lack of compassion towards his car. These critics were all of the same opinion. If Moss had been a more considerate driver he would have been a multi World Champion. If there was a weakness in the vehicle, then he would still drive it flat out and the thing would either break, or it wouldn't. This memory has stayed with me and I suppose has been a great influence on my choice of drivers. I prefered Clark to Hill for exactly the same reason :eek: but I suppose I have never really been able to select an all time favourite Formula 1 driver. :)

I personally think that the Mille Miglia was Stirling Moss's greatest acheivement and he definitely does NOT get the recognition he deserves for that unbelievable (literally) mind blowing race.

Regards
John

Fangio came in 30mins behind. Absolutely stunning. Although, Fangio probably wasn't speeding, at least not the kind Moss admitted to many years later ;)

Attachments

• m.i.mb.300SLR.moss.jenkinson.1955.mille.miglia.05may.jpg
    m.i.mb.300SLR.moss.jenkinson.1955.mille.miglia.05may.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 19
1600km at an AVERAGE speed of 98mph! Yup I guess Moss was speeding???

I think the main reason Moss won this race was because he took the time to do the preperation. Who would have thought that in 19955 a driver would go over this course with his co driver and prepare pace notes. Not only did he do this, but they put these notes on a roller and the co-driver communicated with the driver via hand signals. To stay alert Moss actually 'borrowed' some or perhaps one of Fangio's tablets (drugs :devil:)

Fangio's pills? Legend has it that they were a kind of "super-dexedrine", in Moss's words, probably cooked up by some South American chemist to complement the mixture of garlic cloves and coca leaves that helped Fangio and his rivals cope with exhaustion and altitude sickness during the marathon races across Argentina, Bolivia and Peru held in the 1940s. Just one of them was enough to see Moss through the Mille Miglia, which took him just over 10 hours to complete, at the phenomenal average - over public roads, remember - of 98mph. "I was pretty high, I guess,"

As I always say, "Don't drink and drive, take pills and flyyyy" :devil:

Don't forget this 98mph average speed was on normal very windy roads that went practically the length of Italy.

The first race took place in 1927 on a 1000-mile long route, hence its name. Back then, it was undoubtely a real challenge, where the difficulties and hazards of unpaved streets, dust and mud had to be faced and overcome by the drivers. But it was precisely the danger factor that fuelled passion for the event, attracting more enthusiastic drivers and spectators every year

Jenks' pace notes certainly helped, but, rather than give the two of them an advantage, it rather levelled the playing field, since most of the other drivers knew the course very well, it being their own back yard. Plus a lot of them had pace notes too.
Yes, 98 mph average, on wiggly windy secondary roads - How did he do it, and stay on the road? Incredible, and what a car!
Moss and Jenks! Real men!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom