Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chord

Car
M3, SLK350
Don't know if it has been posted before, but there is an interesing car in a thread on Pistonheads:

"It's a 1961 190SL called "Mercedes-Bent", and it's got all the undercrackers of a 2004 SL600 Bi-Turbo in it ....tuned by Renntech. It won Best of Show at SEMA in the States this year."

Classic cars with modern running gear

Mechatronik do this sort of work on a variety of models .

Now that's different. Not sure if it's my cup of tea, but it's got my attention for more than 5 seconds which says "yes".

190's a gorgeous car but let's be honest in modern conditions (and I'm a purist no mods at all) the running gear's a bag of the proverbial.....

I want one :cool:

Would really love to drive it, must be pretty quick :D
Wonder if it is actually driven or just kept in a garage all the time.

What a beautifully crafted car, some people have so much skill it makes me jealous!

Looks lovely, but suicidal if driven properly. It might have 2010 performance and running gear, even brakes, but in a shell with 1961 crumple zones and no air bags etc. it's a death trap in the wrong hands. Still, looks lovely though like I said and a great example of blending modern technology into a classic car perfectly.

Agree with the above comments - it is a beauty.

It must weigh half as much as the 2004 SL that the engine came out of which I guess is going to make it very dangerous if driven hard as has been said!

I would think it would be pretty nose heavy as well with that massive lump up front which must surely affect the handling and no roll over protection.

Something like a modern N/A 3.5 engine would have been more than adequete I would have thought, in fact even a 2.0 would probably have done the job very nicely.

clk208;1090687 I would think it would be pretty nose heavy as well with that massive lump up front which must surely affect the handling and no roll over protection. [/QUOTE said:
It's the states, lot's of straights with the occasional corner :D Perfect for over there :rock:

Pimp my ride, 1961 190 SL!!!!

Not sure if this is a work of art or a waste of a rare classic, what do you think? http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=342340
DSC_0022.JPG

''The creators of the “Mercedes-Bent,” as the project was dubbed, strategically lengthened and widened a 1961 190SL body to fit over the platform and running gear of a 2004 Mercedes-Benz SL600 with a 6.0L twin turbo V-12 power plant. The result is this stunning vehicle which boasted old world charm, with all the new school bells and whistles.'' :eek:

Looks great to me! :D

Well the 190 SL is a beautiful car to start with, but those silly wheels and tyres make it look terrible, and I am entirely unsure about having a TV screen shoved into a beautiful dash, so I shall dissent from the consensus on looks, it has taken a beautiful car and rendered it ugly.

The more I look at it, the more I'm warming to it. My 1st reaction was OMG!!, what an act on vandalism. But now I'm thinking, what a fantastic piece of engineering :confused:

wheels are far too big and completely ruin the car's otherwise perfect proportions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom