1963 Dashcam footage - priceless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Think that might be a BMW at around 9:30...The Ultimate Driving Machine for those who couldn't afford a wheel at each corner.

I had one of those!! :D used to eat exhaust valves, but then I did drive it pretty hard.

'acceleration is a safety factor you know, if it is used wisely'

Filmed in the year I was born,how I wish I could go back!

Wow cars and scenes from yesteryear and how about the language = trafficators. Love it - Thanks for posting.

I had one of those!! :D used to eat exhaust valves, but then I did drive it pretty hard.

Now that is special. I've vague memories as a little lad of getting in one- it felt like entering a space capsule, like something off Fireball XL5. I think they look futuristic even today, half expect them to hover. IMO a cleverer, safer and more stylish implementation of 3 wheels than the Reliant designs.

Splendid: London to Bath with Captain V. Obvious (Ret'd)

If you had clear roads then yes motoring in those days was OK. But my Dad was forever reminding me what an utter pain it could be to drive to Bristol, the West Country or indeed anywhere off dual A roads really before motorways & bypasses were common

Every town centre a bottleneck, low speed traffic with little or no overtaking opportunities and the three lane A roads where the centre" overtaking lane" was shared were known as Coroners Corridors.

Those were the days - before my time as a driver, but I can remember travelling along those 3 lane highways and through town centres. Fewer cars on the road, too, and many were absolute rust heaps. Many wings / bodies looked a bit like lace, all holes held together by iron oxide. I remember being a passenger in a car driven by a family friend (I'd be about 8 or 9), and looking down at the floor and being able to see the road surface rushing by... Don't think that's allowed any more!

Brilliant film - thanks for sharing!

Orwic

Memories came flooding back from when I was a small boy in London,cold smell the interior of that Jag,my best mates dad had one,now I think I will watch it again.:thumb:

Memories came flooding back from when I was a small boy in London,cold smell the interior of that Jag.:thumb:

I remember the smell of the car interiors on hot days, oh, and the back of my legs sticking to the hot seats when I was wearing shorts as a youngster.
Happy days. :)

Love the casual sexism at around 4:10 when there is clearly a male and female cyclist and he highlights the female 'in case she wobbles'.

Nice to see lane hogging and road rage existing then as well...

I remember the smell of the car interiors on hot days, oh, and the back of my legs sticking to the hot seats when I was wearing shorts as a youngster.
Happy days. :)

Yes - I especially remember the red plastic seats in Austin 1100 and 1300 burning the back of the legs in hot summers too.

Yes - I especially remember the red plastic seats in Austin 1100 and 1300 burning the back of the legs in hot summers too.

My Grandad used to have one of those and used to sometimes make the trip from Manchester to Hemel Hempstead and back to collect us when we were youngsters. That's a long days driving back in the late 60's.

My friend's parents also had one and when I was around 17, Dad reversed out of the garage and then Mum got into the car. Then the rotten floor gave way. :D

In-Car Camera London to Bath (1963) - YouTube

This is a splendid bit of history.

Love our narrator in his Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

Yes , a well known old film which has done the rounds . A lot of those scenarios were set up with people deliberately playing the 'hazards' .

Still enjoyable to watch , even today .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom