1969 280S (W108) Restoration Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Here is our families 1969 W108 280S Automatic, her name is 'Blanche'

Left Hand Drive, and it has a somewhat intresting past.

Having starting its life in on German Roads, it was used by the Jordanian Embassy to transport various digitaries for many years (note the OEM front flag pole ) It was then taken over to Egypt for a few years and finally over to England in 1981 - Thus the 'W' reg plate.
A stupidly big paperwork history, (think 2x phone books full!)

The 2.8ltr Straight 6 runs perfectly well & even has an electronic start! We plan to completly restore it over the next year or so and most likely have it sprayed black so it looks like a mini 600 :bannana:

Anyway, the orignal pictures from when we 1st bought it:

w1081.jpg

w1082.jpg

Since those pictures we purchase some Stacked headlights, and period Black numberplates as we think these make it look classier.

For around about a year its been in the bodyshop as we hunt for parts, Mercman Southampton supplied 3 new doors, a new bootlid and 1x front wing but we still are looking for another rust free wing before we can carry on.

bl1.jpg

bl2.jpg

bl3.jpg

All of the major structual welding/de rusting has already been completed in the last year, but as you can see from the pictures alot of surface rust still needs removing & treating:

bl4.jpg

bl6.jpg

bl7.jpg

bl8.jpg

The final goal is not for a concours winning car, just a car that can be used from time to time that looks nice.

This is what we hope for it to look like:
Mercedes_Benz_71_108__280SEYBlack_sf1.jpg

Will keep you guys updated should this project move along any further :)

Last edited:

WANTED!
: Can you help? We still need a Offside front Wing, and a Nearside front door before any further work can happen... :(

Last edited:
That will look great. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Cheers, as soon as we can find the parts its good to go :)

1 more pic id forgotten to add:

bl5.jpg

Clearly shows all the surface rust

Last edited:
Good luck! looks similar to all the work i've been doing on the SL! Your goal about not wanting a concours car and just one that is nice to live with, is exactly my thoughts on my 107. unfortunatly i posted my restoration blog a german forum and got slated as the car wasnt getting every panel replaced and new trim put on it etc. of course most of the "slaters" hadnt a clue on working on a car and the costs involved !!

i look forward to the progress!!

Last edited:
The photo of the Pristine Black MB looks like a 300SEL .

The photo of the Pristine Black MB looks like a 300SEL .

Filename says 280S, what exteior differences are there?

Good luck! looks similar to all the work i've been doing on the SL! Your goal about not wanting a concours car and just one that is nice to live with, is exactly my thoughts on my 107. unfortunatly i posted my restoration blog a german forum and got slated as the car wasnt getting every panel replaced and new trim put on it etc. of course most of the "slaters" hadnt a clue on working on a car and the costs involved !!

i look forward to the progress!!

Yeah, its not economical to get it up to concours standard as mint ones arent that valuble + we also what to use it rather than keeping it under lock and key all year round.

Last edited:
Good luck with the project - I presume this is the same one that we discussed before and was for sale besides Sainsburys. Look forward to seeing it out and about in Cambridge after you've finished!

The front Fog/Spot lights i thought.

WANTED!
: Can you help? We still need a Offside front Wing, and a Nearside front door before any further work can happen... :(

Just to clarify your car is LHD I assume you mean offside = drivers side and nearside= passenger side with respect to steering wheel position? and not in a UK RHD sense.:confused:

p.s. found this lovely diagram of the air suspension option. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/w108w109/technique

Last edited:
Good luck with the project - I presume this is the same one that we discussed before and was for sale besides Sainsburys. Look forward to seeing it out and about in Cambridge after you've finished!

Yeah, thats right on Pern Road/Coldhams lane Sainsburys :)

I've got a new front door for a 108 tucked away, I'll see if it's a N/S one.

Cool, let me know! - needs to be virtually rust free though...

Just to clarify your car is LHD I assume you mean offside = drivers side and nearside= passenger side with respect to steering wheel position? and not in a UK RHD sense.:confused:

p.s. found this lovely diagram of the air suspension option. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/w108w109/technique

Sitting in the car we need a Righthand side wing, and a lefthand side front door - ive got it right way round right? :)

Yeah, thats right on Pern Road/Coldhams lane Sainsburys :)

Cool, let me know! - needs to be virtually rust free though...

Sitting in the car we need a Righthand side wing, and a lefthand side front door - ive got it right way round right? :)
If you put it that way fine but be aware that the nearside /offside convention you are using really applies to a RHD car driving on the left side of the road as in the UK. Because the car is LHD it might confuse some people because in its "native habitat" i.e. driving on the right those nearside/offside positions are reversed on the car.

Last edited:
Quick update, the ball is finally starting to roll!:

July/August 2009

1x Front new wing in virtually perfect condition - Thanks to 'Bear' for the kind heads up: :bannana:

BzBYjQB2kKGrHgoOKjEEjlLmZZQBKeItu2k.jpg

Stupidly I forgot to bid on the other (the side we need) and it went for £20 - Im kicking myself :(:(:(

And the purchase of a front drivers side (LHD remember) door in not bad condition - rust wise:

001.jpg

007.jpg

So, only a right hand side (sitting in the car) side left to get now :D

Last edited:
Great thanks for the heads up - and they accept Paypal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom