1970 Mercedes C220D Right hand drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nickhop21

Car
Honda Crv
Hi all

My neighbour has a Mercedes 220D from 1970 which is Right hand drive, factory built.
I am interested in working on this vehicle as a restoration project, but cannot find anything to compare prices with as everything on the internet is Left hand drive. In its current state there is a lot of rust in the bodywork but they have an entire body kit to replace already.
Does anyone have any idea of what the car is worth in its current state and once completed?

If it runs an moves under its own power it's worth a go . No problem with RHD , there were thousands of them built in RHD for South Africa/Africa in general , Australia & UK . Search a few South African based sites there is a bloke out there with thousands of old MB parts. I can't remember who , I will try to find the article.

P.S If the car was registered in the 1960's and kept in the 'Highveld' area of South Africa for its entire life it will often be rust free.

Thanks very much Pete, that’s great. As I am new to this do you have any idea on the value of the car?

No , you need to wait until someone on here with more experience than I have to give you that answer. 'How much is it worth' is a very 'how long is a piece of string' type of question.
Most restorations lose money , so don't start one if you expect it to make you money.

In it's current state as a rusty non-runner but with spare panels - not a penny over £4.5K. If the interior is knackered, knock £1K off.

Cared for 220d's fetch £12K if done right with original MB parts. 240d's fetch £15K. They're very rare nowadays, so most get snapped up quickly. Gasoline cars often languish for months on listings.

Note that values for W115 and W123 diesels and 6 cylinder cars are rising rapidly. My insurance company agreed value for my restored W115 240d is £28K. That's not equivalent to sale price but usually not very far off.

Doesn't look too terrible in the picture, but the 'lot of rust' comment is worrying.
Maybe the usual leaky rusty bulkhead, thus rotten floor and sills disease ?
What is the 'body kit' refered to ? don't think flared arches and a spoiler will fix it :)
Roughly agree with Screwdriver on values, but like petrol cars just as much as I have one !

Attachments

• IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
In it's current state as a rusty non-runner but with spare panels - not a penny over £4.5K. If the interior is knackered, knock £1K off.

Cared for 220d's fetch £12K if done right with original MB parts. 240d's fetch £15K. They're very rare nowadays, so most get snapped up quickly. Gasoline cars often languish for months on listings.

Note that values for W115 and W123 diesels and 6 cylinder cars are rising rapidly. My insurance company agreed value for my restored W115 240d is £28K. That's not equivalent to sale price but usually not very far off.
I wonder how much my 78 240d is worth now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom