1970s Argyll St London Bar - did it exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
Can any of you older guys help with my memory failure please?! Was there a bar in Argyll St, in VERY close proximity to the Palladium, called the Ansell, or something very similar, around 1977/78? I thought it was almost next door towards Oxford St, and I'm not confusing it with the Argyll Arms, in case anyone is wondering. My google search skills aren't brilliant, and haven't helped me yet.

If it didn't exist, I obviously drank WAY too much there! Please help!

MD5 said:
Can any of you older guys help with my memory failure please?! Was there a bar in Argyll St, in VERY close proximity to the Palladium, called the Ansell, or something very similar, around 1977/78? I thought it was almost next door towards Oxford St, and I'm not confusing it with the Argyll Arms, in case anyone is wondering. My google search skills aren't brilliant, and haven't helped me yet. If it didn't exist, I obviously drank WAY too much there! Please help!

Yes - remember it well. A couple of doors up the road from the theatre. I worked on a few shows at the Palladium in the late 70's & early 80s and it was one of the 'house' pubs. I think it's now a Costa Coffee shop which is a sign of the times I guess.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Yes - remember it well. A couple of doors up the road from the theatre. I worked on a few shows at the Palladium in the late 70's & early 80s and it was one of the 'house' pubs. I think it's now a Costa Coffee shop which is a sign of the times I guess.

Brilliant, thank you!! I was there last night, and even went in front of house to enquire, but I think they all thought I was mad! I was living with a girl back then who was a dancer in the 77 panto - Richard O'Sullivan, Yootha Joyce, Fiona Fullerton etc,, and as you say, a 'house' pub, now disappeared without trace, it seems. Did you know Rich Valentine?

MD5 said:
Brilliant, thank you!! I was there last night, and even went in front of house to enquire, but I think they all thought I was mad! I was living with a girl back then who was a dancer in the 77 panto - Richard O'Sullivan, Yootha Joyce, Fiona Fullerton etc,, and as you say, a 'house' pub, now disappeared without trace, it seems. Did you know Rich Valentine?

Scary to think it was 35 years ago....I crewed on all sorts of things around the West End - don't remember that name, but don't remember a great deal from that period to be honest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom