1973 280ce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
538321784.jpg

Did they ever come with "Mexican hat" alloy wheels? And do the front and rear bumpers match? Charles will know this

They could be had with them, not sure whether that one had them originally but the wheel profile looks too big - both diameter and tyre width. Bumpers fine.

There was a large option with those rims that that 450SLC 5.0 I drove in Germany had, could be he has those fitted...?
Other than that you do tend to get used to seeing cars carrying the latest reduced profile tyre trend and when you see how they were many years ago it doesn't tend to look quite right. Might be this effect and the photo?

5dae05c42f8b0c7fbd9bc4d8ca0b0c81.jpg

Assuming the originals would have been 175/80 R14 and these were indeed the rare 15 inch wheels then to retain roughly the same rolling radius would require a reduction in tyre aspect ratio to approx 195/65R15. my guess is the tyres on that car may be 70 or even 80 aspect ratio tyres

Off topic but is just me that thinks NZ number plates are feekin ugleee ????

Yes they look unbalanced and several attempts to get it right has not resulted in anything as correct looking as what the Europeans and Brits have. Sure be nice to have them the same here as you have there. :):)

Bunts were optional. They could be had in either 14" or 15". The 15" bundts are quite rare and desirable now as you can still get H/V rated tires in 15" diameter.

Mercedes Benz classic center was selling new ones a couple of years ago. Car looks like it's had new front and rear sub frame mounts and shocks which might explain why it doesn't look like just about any other W114/5 out there :). They would have to be new because sub frame mounts will collapse from sitting.
Tires look huge.

Nice car, but I would not say a 280CE is a much better car than the 250CE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom