1974 Bristol 411

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChipChop

MB Enthusiast
Car
S210 320cdi w201 190d 2.5
What a car. Wonder what the story is behind this one being left like this. Last mot'd 2014 and never a mention of rust on mot history. Could be a bargain for a brave soul.

It'll cost more than £50k to restore that "Gentleman's Express."

IMAG1426%20%281024x579%29.3a5fc45f55425449e6c92f972276d9e8.jpg

Those cars were awful when new. Look at the parts bin interior for example. And the design high point was to put the spare wheel behind a door in the front wing. FFS.

What a car. Wonder what the story is behind this one being left like this. Last mot'd 2014 and never a mention of rust on mot history. Could be a bargain for a brave soul.
It'll cost more than £50k to restore that "Gentleman's Express."

Both true. There shouldn't be any rust, as Bristols are made of aluminium, but, in spite of the parts bin manufacture, restoring a Bristol properly will cost an arm and a leg.

Like many restoration projects, unlikely to be a profit-making exercise, but a labour of love for someone.

Despite all this i would still like one. Rust wise i was thinking the chassis. I know they look a bit gawky in photos but in real life they are thing to behold.

To me the true kings of parts bin engineering are the VAG group. Skoda price to Audi price via a few £2 bits of aluminum tacked into an interior. Vorsprung dorch Parts Bin.

Both true. There shouldn't be any rust, as Bristols are made of aluminium, but, in spite of the parts bin manufacture, restoring a Bristol properly will cost an arm and a leg.
Like many restoration projects, unlikely to be a profit-making exercise, but a labour of love for someone.

Labours of love are good. We like Labours of love. Especially on cars which were always arcane "left field" choices

Isn't the Bristol 411 fundamentally a steel chassis car with aluminium only being used on the body panels: doors, bonnet and boot lid ? So there's all kinds of chassis rot issues as well as all that "cosmetic" stuff of engine, gearbox, transmission, fuel, electrics, brakes, upholstery, paint, glass, yada yada ?

For me, the definitive Bristol was the 405 from 1955: a hand built car from the era "of" hand built cars.

405-2b.jpg

Wonder if the car has been in a flood? Those dirt marks on the sides look suspiciously like it to me.

That's not dirt, it's green algae. Pretty standard for a car that's been sitting for ages.

Sorry, having trouble finding the right link, but here is a lovely blue Bristol 403 at the Périgueux Classic Auto Expo last year. It was immaculate.

Sandwiched between my Sunbeam Talbot 90 and a recently restored and beautiful Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane.

1589280344725.png

My mates old man had one of the cars mentioned in the ad.
He was a set builder in the film game and a drinking buddy of Oliver Read, Richard Harris etc. He wrapped it around a tree in France after a large drinking session (irrelevant to the story) and walked away.
The build quality and solidity of the car was out of this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom