1975 280CE coupe auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip1

Car
280CE coupe 1975
Hi, I’m new to the group also new to Mercedes. I feel that I may need some guidance with a project I have taken on. I’m not even sure where I should post this.
I recently I acquired a 1975 280CE coupe auto (I believe this is the W114 with an M110 engine). The vehicle has not moved for at least 20 years and is in a bit of a state. On the good side it has been under cover and prior to being garaged it had quite a bit of work done.
After a bit of a struggle to get petrol through, I suspect fuel pump was low on pressure or pressure control valve stuck, the engine has now started. It seems to be running a little fast for an auto but quite smooth and no serious noises for a car with 400 miles on the clock ( I assume that will be 100,400 miles)

I have stripped out seats and carpets and the first obvious problem is it leaks in water. The main areas where water enters are around the brake pedal and below the rear window. The rear glass seems to have sealant between glass and rubber so I’m thinking it’s leaking between metal and rubber but I’m not sure about removing the chrome trim. Does this just lever out?

At the front I thought the grill by the wipers will take water and must have a drain that could be blocked but the grill seems to be riveted in position and I’m unable to find any drain pipes.

I would like to get the car clean and dry prior to fitting carpets, seats and starting on the mechanics of the vehicle. I would appreciate any suggestions in relation to window trim removal, where to look for leaks, blocked drains and corrosion. Is there a simple idle speed adjustment or is this something I’m going to have to look into a little deeper in the future?

Thank you for reading my post and for any help you may be able to give.

Congrats on your purchase.

In my mind this is the M110 is best engine for the W114 Coupe.

I presume you drained the tank and blew out the fuel lines prior to starting the car ?

If I remember correcrly there is a screw on top of the injection pump that adjusts the idle speed.

I would also recommend that you join the Official Mercedes Benz Club where they would be able to provide a wealth of information on this mode.

Congratulations on the buy. The 280CE is a fantastic car.
FYI. I don't believe anything you say. We need photo evidence

Thanks for the comments. Looks like you found my first mistake Vijilants. No I did not blow out the fuel lines this system was dry and new copper pipes appear to be fitted. I did discard the first fuel through so hopefully all will be OK. It looks like it has a D jetronic injection system, just one electric pump at the rear. I'll be be looking at that later.
I,ve worked out the rear window trim, there's sealant everywhere and it still leaks. Found the main leak at the front. Corrosion through bulkhead just below the brake servo. Looks like the servo and master cylinder will have to be removed to see how bad this is. That will be my start on the brake system.
I do have photos Al but new to this group and not sure how to get them from phone to this computer at present.
Any future posts I'll try to put appropriate section.

The system is d-jetronic, the ecu is under the glove box and can be accessed from underneath. You only have one fuel pump and if all functioning well, you should expect to hear the pump for a few seconds before starting the car. The system is pretty simple but parts are getting up there in prices. Mechanically, these cars are solid. The big thing on them is rust. They'll rust in the Sahara.

A very late comment here, sounds like an interesting project Philip1
You have probably found the rubber drain plugs for the front vent box by now, at the back of the engine bay.
As for the chrome vent I would drill out the rivets to check inside as the do leak into the car ( and are a b---h to get in to seal the stupid welded joint below the heater fan, plus the almost inaccessible ends at the top of the wings).
I am considering some kind of cover for the vent, but you do need the air intake.

I find this site quite useful for parts info if you don't have the Mercedes number
p.s. i've not been on here for years but still love my 115 !!

Pete,
Thanks for your comments. the partsfinder I expect to come in useful . No I haven't found the rubber drain plugs yet, just been to have a look from above, don't want to poor any water down if I can help it. The top vent is still held with plastic clips with push through centre pins so they are now out. I hope that when wipers and top vent are removed i should be able to see where the drains are and any other problems there may be.

The brake master and servo have been removed to fix corrosion due to blocked drainage holes and now replaced.
DSC_0530.JPG
Front callipers and discs removed cleaned and refitted with new flexibles. Moving on to rear discs and parking brakes.

Hopefully when I'm satisfied the brakes work Ill be able to give it a run and find all the other problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom