1975 280CE power sunroof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcchh

Car
1975 280CE (W114)
Hi all. Recently got a beautiful 280CE on the road after 10 years in the garage. Was wondering if someone can offer and assistance with a this 1975 W114 power sunroof issue. When I went to open for first time it moved about 3 inches open and then stopped. Now no back or forward on console switch but will work manually from boot override. I don’t think the cable is jamming as will turn easily from the motor coupling with just a finger. Maybe a poor connection and I want to check a few things out when I next get the time. I have some technical manuals but none of them have a wiring diagram that includes the sunroof circuit which is weird. Does anyone have this diagram and maybe where the cables run, is it the straight forward console switch reversing feed to the motor or are there breaking switches when fully open or closed ? Any help would be much appreciated.

It's probably full of dirt and hard grease. You'll need to take it apart so that you could get to the tracks and cables , clean everything and use lithium or graphite to lube it. While you're at, replace the seals and make sure all the drain tubes are not blocked.

As they say with W114's. Sunshine roof, sunshine floors

Thanks alabbasi. As a side note you mention the drain tubes. This was my Dads pride and joy and I have taken the batten. Something I remember he battled with on and off was slight corrosion each side on the rear pillar, same place. He final solution was to fit an aesthetic trim. is this something of a problem on these and is it to do with the mentioned drain tubes ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TRY THIS scroll down to page two
https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12265/program/ETM/77_230.pdf
Looks as if the switch is fed from an ignition switched +ve line via a 16a? fuse- 2 wires run from the switch to the motor for up and down direction and the switch is earthed. This means that the two wires to the motor swap "identities - one feed one return for one direction and the other way for the other direction of travel- DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANY MOTOR LIMIT SWITCHES???
I would be inclined to disconnect the cable and try the motor on its own with an independant 12v supply to test it.
As you see from the video they changed the motor design and possibly the wiring also .

Last edited:
Thanks alabbasi. As a side note you mention the drain tubes. This was my Dads pride and joy and I have taken the batten. Something I remember he battled with on and off was slight corrosion each side on the rear pillar, same place. He final solution was to fit an aesthetic trim. is this something of a problem on these and is it to do with the mentioned drain tubes ?

It might be. Do you get a wet boot floor when it rains? This is a common rust area but may be because it's where the quarter is welded.

I've owned one of these cars since I was 19 (I'm about to turn 46) but the one I own now has no sunroof and is stored inside. Check the wheelarch for exit holes for the drain.

I have a manual on CD somewhere and will check later

a picture of an early motor note the 2pin + plastic locator peg plug
9410-W23.9A-2T.jpg

Sad that the Americans can do things so much better than we can. Might be to reduce costs, MBs are hugely expensive there. I'd love to know what the costs of all that kit are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom