1976 280e Idle Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pookybbb

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help my '76 280E? She starts and runs like a dream most of the time, but occasionally, after she has been stopped and started continuously, she runs rough and won't idle. This only it seems to happen when the engine is warm. To over come it I must keep the accelerator slightly depressed, I can hear the engine is running slightly rough, then after about 30-60 seconds it seems to clear and all is normal again. All the usual engine services were recently done (problem existed before then anyway). Can anyone suggest anything that might cause this.

Cheers :)

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help my '76 280E? She starts and runs like a dream most of the time, but occasionally, after she has been stopped and started continuously, she runs rough and won't idle. This only it seems to happen when the engine is warm. To over come it I must keep the accelerator slightly depressed, I can hear the engine is running slightly rough, then after about 30-60 seconds it seems to clear and all is normal again. All the usual engine services were recently done (problem existed before then anyway). Can anyone suggest anything that might cause this.

Cheers :)

I think that you do have an OVP relay, these get bad joints (dry solder)and can cause your problem, its worth checking

Thanks,

Not sure my model has a OVP relay. Couldn't see anyhting mentioned in the workshop manual. I assume it stands for Over Voltage Protection?

Cheers.

TRY cleaning the throat of the air flow intake on the fuel distributer where the sensor plate rests---- they can get sticky. With the engine off just depress the plate gently/slightly to expose the walls and give them a clean with carburettor cleaner or similar solvent. That's assuming you have a fuel injection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom