1980 W123-astronomical mileage!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John M

Car
rover sterling,audi100,yamaha xj900,bmw r45, bus pass
Hi, I'm new around here so excuse me if I appear abrupt!
I'm thinking of buying a 1980 w123 300td which has done around 1/4 of a million miles!!
Does anyone have such an old car and are they any good?
If its done that amount of miles it must have something going for it, and I'm hoping that if anything could go wrong it should have by now.
It's not going to cost much, around £200, the body is not great but it's mechanically pretty good.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,

I've got a 1989 230TE (petrol) with 212,000 on the clock and it runs perfectly. as long as it's been serviced regularly and you can see the history there's no reason not to buy it.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I might just go for it.
If I do, I'll post something, hopefully along the lines of "what a fantastic buy".
Cheers

I have a pal who has 1989 200 te petrol auto with 249k on the clock and still sounds well. Rob

tere's a guy on the mercedes mailing list that has a 300TD with 450,000 miles on the clock. One of our local cab drivers has a W124 230E with 320,000 miles.

Check the gearbox, they have a habit of failing about the 175k mark. if it's been replaced then great if not check it changes smoothly and listen to it carefully once it's up to operating temperature (about a 10 mile drive) any noises on the overrun in particular can be an indication of potential problems.

Let us know how you get on with it

Andy

Oh what wonderfull news. My 200T has 167,000 miles on the clock. Guess I had better rebuild my spare box in anticipation :(

Thanks for all your input, unfortunately someone else has bought the car.
So I'm still looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom