1980s/Early 1990's BMW Alloys ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
My sister has a set of old 1980s/early 1990s BMW wheels sitting in her garden with the orignal tyres attached. The actual alloys are in extremely good condition but I dont really know what they are called etc.

They look like oldskool BBS wheels and they have the following stamped on them:

BMW 20
48 90 Fundo
KBA 41488
7-JX15H"

I think these are them:
1.jpg

Anyone know anything about them? are they worth much? not really sure of their name, so I cant search for them.

Cheers!

Yeh they are worth a quid or two. Mainly the owners who have dammaged one or are looking to turn the car back to original. Best bet is to pop onto a bmw forum and have a quiet browse you may drop lucky.
Chaz

they were pretty common... My mum had a few of that shape BMW when I was a kid and they all had those wheels...

Still may be worth a few pennies to the right person.

They are known as Style 5s, if that helps. Attached to most BMWs, in one form or another, at some point...

I believe they are Mahle's- Style 5's are split rim. BBS RC90.

The numbers you gave are a different wheel to those on the E28-

this is the wheels you have:

5990.jpg

These are Style5's

BMW-Style-5.jpg

Last edited:
From my knowledge, they're commonly known as BBS RZ's. They come in different width and offsets, but the design is pretty much the same with some of them being 4/5 studs with a deeper dish sometimes.

I would say they're about 150-200 quid depending on the overall condition and tyres.

Thanks alot for your replies, exactly what I was after!

The Style 5 refers to the cross-spoke design - either the split rim or the single piece. They came in many variations (some with covered wheel nuts, some not), depending on age. They were manufactured on contract by both Mahle and BBS.

I believe they are Mahle's- Style 5's are split rim. BBS RC90.

The numbers you gave are a different wheel to those on the E28-

this is the wheels you have:

5990.jpg

Definately not them, look at the centre caps.

Definately not style 5's

Definately not RZ's

they are BBS Mahles as far as I can tell from the picture given. Worth about 150-200 with tyres.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom