1980s SL. Practical classic or money pit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c4sman

Car
mercedes 219 CLS
Advice please. Seriously thinking of investing in a classic SL (we call it the Hart to Hart one), but no idea whether this is realistic or a recipe for bankruptcy.

What are your experiences and what price point, year, mileage is less likely to be ruinous.

280SL is the least desirable one.

I think it unlikely that unless you buy an absolutely top quality one that the money you spend on it will be returned to you at an acceptable rate. Many conceal rust exceptionally well.

My experience of classic cars, and those of people in the business, is that bankruptcy is always more likely than profit, except if you have an early or rare Porsche/Ferrari/Aston Martin.

Buy a good one and enjoy, any financial return should be regarded as a bonus.

Last edited:
If you are referring to the R107 -- these are 25+ year old cars -- due to the ravages of time and the laws of entropy they can conveniently be divided into 2 categories cheap basket cases and expensive restored/preserved units with a mere smattering of intermediate cars where you might just land lucky-- but the odds are against you. What you must avoid at all costs is paying big money for a basket case ----here detailed documented provance/history is all.
Again also depends on how you want to use it. Most well restored cars lead cosseted lives and are used only in the summer months in fine weather. If you want a daily driver to enjoy without fear or favour buy a W129.

There are plenty of R129 moneypits just waiting to be bought as well. You need to do your homework with either model, whatever you do don't rush in and buy one. Early 107s drive very differently from the later cars so try a good few first.

Thanks gents, sounds like lots more research required!

It would be a weekend sunny day car but want it to be usable. Doesn't matter how it drives as it would be a cruiser not a racer.

We bought our 1984 280 in about 2006.
It was a low owner car, always garaged and on about 35,000 miles. It had been off the road for a couple of years due to elderly owner (handful of miles since previous main dealer service and mot probably 2 years back) and the family were disposing of it to realise cash.

We've found it a lovely car to own and it's become part of the family having been used in our wedding and honeymoon. Now on about 50k miles. We have 3 kids now so we can't all fit in it in one go, so it's not used all that much any more. It's certainly not going down in value but I'm not kidding myself it's appreciating yet at the rate it would need to, to pay for itself.

Mechanically, keeping it running hasn't been too costly, they are simple well built and over-engineered cars. We had a thorough inspection done prior to purchase to try and avoid as many surprises as possible.

Even though we keep it garaged and rarely drive it in the wet (only really if we get caught out) it is showing some rust now and we'll probably be spending some money with a bodyshop this year to stop things going too far.

If you like the look and the drive they are really great cars to own. Who knows, one day when the ratty cars are all gone it might really pick up in value - since we're planning to hang on to it, it doesn't really matter.

We're also in Surrey (just), if you fancy a nose round one, do get in touch. I'd be happy to take you out for spin and tell you more.

Colin ferns has just restored an r107 , believe it's a 320. It's now for sale.

It's been documented photographically so you can see what's been done.

He's in richmond 0208 332 7660

It was a low owner car, always garaged and on about 35,000 miles. It had been off the road for a couple of years due to elderly owner (handful of miles since previous main dealer service and mot probably 2 years back) and the family were disposing of it to realise cash.

REMEMBER the comments from above -----here detailed documented provance/history is all---- We had a thorough inspection done prior to purchase to try and avoid as many surprises as possible..

This guy got a decent car because he ticked all the right boxes first!!

Last edited:
I think if it was me....and this is in general to any classic really. i would be looking for a LHD model from a warm climate, problem is thats going to cost...

get a restored one for the least money as this the best way to bag a bargain and enjoyment long term

Mechanically they are pretty bulletproof, although I have just had my timing chain, sprockets, sliders and tensioner replaced in my 500SL which is the main mechanical issue with the M117 engines at only 65k miles it was very slack so worth pulling the rocker covers and taking a look.
Check sills for rust and also get one of the cheap endoscopes for about £70 and remove the heater cover and look at the bulk head using the camera.You will soon see any corrosion in there if it's bad walk away. Check under the battery tray for corrosion as well.

Once you find a good one be sure to keep all the drains clear in the future.

Parts are getting expensive headlamps, rear lights and lenses, bumpers,and trim especially.

Once sorted they are a great car. Facelift models after 1986 are the most sought after but they all rust. Buy a good pre-facelift rather than an average post facelift, buy on condition rather than specification and colour and you should be fine. Good hunting...

Last edited:

We've found it a lovely car to own and it's become part of the family having been used in our wedding and honeymoon. Now on about 50k miles. We have 3 kids now so we can't all fit in it in one go, so it's not used all that much any more. It's certainly not going down in value but I'm not kidding myself it's appreciating yet at the rate it would need to, to pay for itself.

Mechanically, keeping it running hasn't been too costly, they are simple well built and over-engineered cars. We had a thorough inspection done prior to purchase to try and avoid as many surprises as possible.

Even though we keep it garaged and rarely drive it in the wet (only really if we get caught out) it is showing some rust now and we'll probably be spending some money with a bodyshop this year to stop things going too far.

If you like the look and the drive they are really great cars to own. Who knows, one day when the ratty cars are all gone it might really pick up in value - since we're planning to hang on to it, it doesn't really matter.

We're also in Surrey (just), if you fancy a nose round one, do get in touch. I'd be happy to take you out for spin and tell you more.

Thanks, this is really useful. A close look at what good looks live will be very useful so will be in touch. Thanks!

REMEMBER the comments from above -----here detailed documented provance/history is all---- We had a thorough inspection done prior to purchase to try and avoid as many surprises as possible..

This guy got a decent car because he ticked all the right boxes first!!

Definitely agree with that!

I'm not looking at it as an investment but don't want it to be a disaster financially either.

Check this place out. http://www.theslshop.com
Top end but buying advice and plenty to drool over.
I have noticed a marked increase in values in these Sls over the last few years. So whilst you might not make a profit if you buy a solid car you probably won't loose in terms of spend on maintenance vs appreciation.

280SL is the least desirable one.

I think it unlikely that unless you buy an absolutely top quality one that the money you spend on it will be returned to you at an acceptable rate. Many conceal rust exceptionally well.

My experience of classic cars, and those of people in the business, is that bankruptcy is always more likely than profit, except if you have an early or rare Porsche/Ferrari/Aston Martin.

Buy a good one and enjoy, any financial return should be regarded as a bonus.

The 280 isn't so bad : the 350 is the least desirable as it has barely more power than the 280 but the higher gearing and thirst of the 450 so actually less performance . The six can sound nicer when extended . Expect 15mpg from the V-8's and maybe 20 from the 280 .

The later generation cars are better : nicer engines - either the 300 which is smoother than the 280 or the 500 which was probably best offered in the range - the later cars have dual mode gearboxes and better fuel economy . Around 20 from a 500 and maybe mid/high 20's from the 300 - depending on driving style - these are heavy cars .

Rust is the enemy , and fixing a bad one will end up costing more than spending more to buy a better one in the first place . The pleniium chamber below the windscreen is one of the worst places - wet carpets in the front footwells is a bad sign . Check carefully under the car for rust in boot floor , sills , floor pan , inner wings , everywhere there is metal .

Good cars are expensive ; cheap ones tend to be rust buckets .

The model series is the R107

Colin ferns has just restored an r107 , believe it's a 320. It's now for sale.

It's been documented photographically so you can see what's been done.

He's in richmond 0208 332 7660

There was never a 320 in the R107 . R107 had the 280 and the 300 sixes ; 350 and 450 gen 1 v8's and 380,420 and 500 v8's gen 2

There was a 320 in the R129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom