1982 300 SD 1500 original miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Heaven knows the likely price, but that is gorgeous. All those passivated zinc nickel fittings show me the way!

Wow that's nice, and twin power/heated seats on an 82 diesel! cant have been many speced like that!

It looks like someone's gone a bit OTT with the steam cleaner here.
58.jpg

What a find for someone into them ...

I've been trying to remember if I've ever seen a lower mileage Merc of 25years or more for sale.

Would the winner have the courage to drive it, or would he just pop-down and droll over it periodically, as the original owner did?

It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up back in the Fatherland.

The buyer will obviously have the brass to spare and if they've a choice of looking at their money - which'll be making next to nothing - or this car, well, no contest really!

Given the entire point of the car is its utter pristine-ness, driving it would be to devalue it, although I'd admire someone who did rather than whack it in a collection.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. Where is the utter joy to be had, in beholding or driving?
If it came for say, GBP 20K, and was driven for 30,000 miles over half a dozen years how much would the value fall?
That poor old 617 must feel like a never walked dog; so much to give, such an un-wagged tail!

Just had a bid, but the reserve hasn't been cracked!

30K GBP and still three days to go with the reserve unreached!

50K USD reserve?

I'm going to DL the images for the mercnography folder.

30K GBP and still three days to go with the reserve unreached!

50K USD reserve?

I'm going to DL the images for the mercnography folder.

isobars, do you think it's worth the money? I mean lovely car all that it is condition wise, some would say it's far too good to use and it is after all 'only' a diesel W126. I'm not knocking the car per se but questioning the value & practicality considering I suspect one could pick up an immaculate (and higher mileage obviously) 500 or 560 for far, far less and with the added advantage of less concerns when it comes to using the car.

And do you keep those fugly US headlamps on or make it unoriginal but way better looking with the right headlamps?

As lovely as it is, those headlamps are like braces on a model's teeth. And after a few days admiring it, they'd be all I could see (and hate).

I think we're well into collection or 'must have it' money by now.
A decent 126 with a very acceptable 100k miles in mint or near mint condition can be had for US13K - or maybe 7/8k euro's - I'm looking at one next week, (SDL, but 3ltr), with the less tractor-like om603. I have two 617's and both are reassuring, but in the 126, perhaps they need the 603? Can't say for sure.

The bumps and lights are an easy and necessary swap, very unattractive!

What a find! Gold with a chocolate brown interior. I'd have it any day of the week with or without those ugly US market bumpers & lights. Plus I'd actually use the thing as much as possible.

I am a fan of the W126 and yet I can see very little appeal in that car.

Far too much beige plastic, not the most attractive colour and awful US-spec headlights don't add up to a £30k package in my opinion.

And as has been discussed many times before on here, the problem with ultra low-mileage cars that command a huge price is that you can't use them or else they will plummet in value very quickly. So what's the point ?

I would much rather have something like this for a fraction of the price:

Mercedes-Benz 300 3.0 SE 4dr

It's over-priced but it looks better than the US car and you'd be comfortable actually driving the thing rather than staring at it and getting all Howard Hughes over specks of dust on the paintwork.

Has anyone driven the 6 and 8 cylinder and diesel versions? I had the 380 and felt the torque of the V8 suited the car, I spoke to a chap I got some parts off who had the 300 and said it was underpowered. Not sure how a diesel would feel

I've a 300 SEL and it's really more than adequate, if you floor it the thing won't go into top until close to 100mph. I've a couple of 617's with turbo's attached. In the 116 SD it's a great feeling, whooshes along quite nicely, on the other hand the later TDT was from California (the SD was Florida), hasn't got it as much. Better than the na, (though not as sweet), but not as obliging as the S Class. I'm off to look at an SDL with the 603 Turbo later this week. 1987, same colour as this one almost - smoke silver - eye of the beholder, I know, but I like it and I've been looking for one with deep red leather for a while.
Might just get change from 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom