1982 W123 Alternator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesy28

Car
1982 Mercedes W123 230E
Hi I've been enjoying my W123 for about 6 months now but there is a starter issue and I believe it to be the alternator.

Been trying to source one but it is quite difficult with there being some confusion over exactly what will fit and won't. Being a novice "mechanic" I do want to switch it myself but, and I wondered if anyone had a suggestion of what one to go for?

Regards, James.

Post a picture if possible. A description of the alternator identification plate would also be helpful. these units changed over the years as technology/supplier changed

The alternators on these are pretty reliable. It could just need brushes/regulator - the little black box on the back. Cheap and easy to replace.
Failing that, there is nothing special about the alternators of that era. As long as it physically fits, and the pulley is roughly the same it will be ok.
Scrapyard if you're on a budget or good auto electrician should sort you out.

IMG00288-20120421-1227.jpg

IMG00287-20120421-1227.jpg

My pics aren't great. I appreciate the suggestions, replacing the 'black' box would be simpler than the whole thing. A scrappy again something to keep in mind. I'm just hesitant to take the old one off (in terms of taking it along to get the same one again) and then re-fitting the new one. I'd like to re-trace my steps all in the one go if that makes sense.

AUTOELECTRO re-manufacture starters and alternators. They have a website. Welcome to Autoelectro.co.uk. The nearest unit for a 230E [1984] seems to be their AEA7119 described as 70A 3 Spade Block (E) Fan PV6 Pulley 2 Fixing Holes. Suggest you contact them directly for prices/parts ??

These are readily available... Euro Car Parts, GSF, even your local motor factor.

They arent that expensive either.

I probably have a few second hand ones knocking about but it would be better for you to get a new one from the above suppliers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom