1987 230E alarm problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markalexander

Car
Mercedes E230
Car alarm just started going off. despite not operating for over 1 year. Battery was low, but when charged continued to go off even when engine started (obviously no immobiliser), disconnected siren, engine runs but i can hear a relay ticking behind the dash on the drivers right side. No flashing indicators or lights, and i have no reference as to the system manufacturer. Anyone with any history on these things out there?

Probably, the alarm was in a disarmed state for some time, it was active, meaning it was ON, but disarmed.

When the alarm is without a 12v power supply, it believes it is being tampered with and so as soon as the car battery is reconnected, it will arm itself… if any door/boot/bonnet is open then it will set the alarm off.

You should have some way to disarm the alarm system, either a remote central locking fob which will disarm the alarm when unlocking the car or an odd looking round key to turn the system off or by unlocking the car via a key being turned in the driver/passenger door lock.

The alarm may also be so old that it has become faulty and nothing that you can do will disarm it, other than removing its control system from the car.

What keys/remote controls are in your possession?

Dec

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

Last edited:
The manufacturer name and model may well be found on the main alarm control box you hear ticking under the dash and also mentioned in the original bill of sale from the dealer [ now maybe long gone??] However bearing in mind its age its worth stripping it out and either leaving the car "alarmless" or getting an entirely new on fitted. Chose a good alarm installer and he may give you a package deal remove old/fit new- just watch out for cowboys!

No separate alarm keys, so will try connecting the battery with the doors locked, then opening the drivers side to see if it works, if not, there is a highly regarded jobbing auto electrician at our local autoparts store.

thanks for the comments guys

When these alarms get problematic ,you need to remove it or get it sorted out.If you dont, then it will catch you out on a limb Right way is auto electric guy .I had to get my alarm removed.This was after my car refused to start up after lay off. I would charge up the car battery first , and give it another try ? .

Charged battery, installed with doors locked. Opened doors, solenoid started ticking, started engine, ticking stopped after about 30 seconds, maybe it's reset?

Can you check Inside glove box or driver side foot well area for an odd looking "ignition". I'm afraid only removing alarm will fix your problem as they're very old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom