1987 S124 Rear Spring Replace Heavy Duty or Regular

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodger Rolls

Car
W124 200 T
Hi,

I'm having the rear suspension sorted on my S124. Low mileage example, 55K miles, kept garaged so in good nick generally but of course lots of bits need replacing and doing them bit by bit and not skimping.

I'm having the rear suspension done by a reputable ex Merc mechanic and going for stock mercedes parts - spheres, rams etc etc. The only question is this:

The rear springs apparently have different ratings dep on whether the model had a tow bar fitted, was a taxi etc etc. Mine has no tow bar, but does have a sunroof, my usage for it is carrying quite a lot of gear around in it and it's often loaded up like a taxi and pretty much always has a 2 or three hundredweight in the back.

Although the mechanic is inclined to go for the originally fitted standard springs I'm inclined to go for the HD. I don't ming a slightly heavy ride and and don't want to much bounce when I turn up at site on a bumpy road with the back loaded up.

Generally though I'm not in to mods.

Any thoughts?
and chasis wise but of course
Many thanks!

Hi,

I'm having the rear suspension sorted on my S124. Low mileage example, 55K miles, kept garaged so in good nick generally but of course lots of bits need replacing and doing them bit by bit and not skimping.

I'm having the rear suspension done by a reputable ex Merc mechanic and going for stock mercedes parts - spheres, rams etc etc. The only question is this:

The rear springs apparently have different ratings dep on whether the model had a tow bar fitted, was a taxi etc etc. Mine has no tow bar, but does have a sunroof, my usage for it is carrying quite a lot of gear around in it and it's often loaded up like a taxi and pretty much always has a 2 or three hundredweight in the back.

Although the mechanic is inclined to go for the originally fitted standard springs I'm inclined to go for the HD. I don't ming a slightly heavy ride and and don't want to much bounce when I turn up at site on a bumpy road with the back loaded up.

Generally though I'm not in to mods.

Any thoughts?
and chasis wise but of course
Many thanks!
I know my car is very different - no SLS at the rear - but I studied the EPC to establish which springs were appropriate at all 4 corners. The EPC displays a "points" system whereby you tot up points according to the options - sunroof, radio, auto box etc. The points total then relates to the correct springs.

At that point, you may see some Heavy Duty options but I cannot comment on that.

I imagine you could do the same, or your mechanic could.

Good hunting.

RayH

Hi Ray,

Forgive a newbie's lack of knowledge of the jargon but I'm guessing the EPC is the electronic service manual from Mercedes? Any idea how to get eyes on the appropriate section? I'd like to take a look at it myself if possible.

Thanks!

EPC is the electronic parts catalogue.
The official (paid for) portal is here
A free "enthusiasts" website is here

Usual caveats apply, always double check info before ordering, most MB parts dept will oblige ...

That's brilliant, I've been looking for something like this for ages, thank you very much!
I also use this one:

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom