1988 420 SE barn find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Optimistically priced. I love the fact that in sellers' eyes being a 'barn find' adds £££ and overrides other obvious things such as nasty chrome wheel arches and the fact it's up for 2 grand more than similar examples.

The whole barn find thing is interesting ... There has been an increasing belief it seems that original and poor condition barn stored is more valuable than good, restored/mint. MAYBE that could be argued for a timewarp DB5 but for an 80s Merc I am not so sure.

In this case the car does appear to be an actual barn find.

But in the wonderful world of Ebay, it seems that the term "barn find" can now be legitimately used to describe any old heap that's been sat in a garage / workshop / lock-up / back garden for any period longer than 6 months.

Leave the steering wheel in the barn :rolleyes:

Interesting that a search for the address of TCS gives it as Snipe Leach Farm. I wonder if they found it in their own barn, or am I being cynical? :dk:

Even more interesting are views on Google Maps and Google Earth... 'Closed' ??? Never seen that before.

Think they also operate a caravan storage facility. (Kendalls)

^ that is unusual (closed)

I think this has been on sale for around 2 years as I am sure it was about when I got my w126

In this case the car does appear to be an actual barn find.

But in the wonderful world of Ebay, it seems that the term "barn find" can now be legitimately used to describe any old heap that's been sat in a garage / workshop / lock-up / back garden for any period longer than 6 months.

I know of a car that was recently traded for another. The original one is now up for sale by the same trader as a barn find...ignoring the six months MOT it still has.

I think the fascination with barn finds is that you could possibly end up with an old car that with some work could remain original, rather than bodywork and respray etc. In some cases an original but weathered car can fetch more money than a car with a hugely expensive over restoration. They are of course, only original once.

But people get a bit sidetracked, modern classics like these would just be better if they where used properly and well cared for.

I've seen some right sheds and the vendor seems to think that the mileage being only 45,000 from new is of some importance. The fact there is a tree growing through the boot floor doesn't seem to enter the equation. I've probably been to look at 40 'barn finds' but only three got my attention, the rest where left! If you are going to do a full restoration you would be better getting something that has done a few hundred thousand miles!

I don't think the w126 in question here is a barn find, just abandoned in a shed for long enough to get covered in carp!

It has been 'recommissioned' but is 'not ready yet'. Could this possibly mean that cosmetically it's great (and it does look good), but that they discovered something nasty/expensive when they tried to MOT it?

Has this garage not used that exact barn and sheet for another car i seem to recall seeing it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom