1988 Euro 560SEC ASR issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alabbasi

MB Enthusiast
I hope you all (ya'll) don't mind an ex pat living in Texas posting to the UK forum.

I have a 1988 Euro (LHD) 560SEC with ASR which is not a common feature on US models and therefore there is not much knowledge on this technology on the US forums so I was hoping I could get some useful information here.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Recently when taking hard corners or driving a little enthusiastically, what appears to be a check engine light goes off and the pedal becomes very stiff.

I cannot be sure if it is the check engine light because there is no writing indicating that it is but its the light furthest to the right on the cluster strip where the warning lights are.

I was not aware that this system is drive by wire but I guess it must be, and is going into some sort of limp home mode.

Faulty light (brake) is the only other fault light on the dash.

As it's not like anything that I've experienced so far. I'm wondering if anyone else as an ASR equipped W126 who may shed some light on how to diagnose the problem.

I posted to a W126 forum and was told that it may be a TPS and that parts are really expensive and these systems are a nightmare.

[/FONT]I can imagine it getting really expensive if I start throwing parts at it, so I was wondering if there is a diagnostic process that I can go through in order to trouble shoot the problem.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
Thanks in advance.
[/FONT]

Its not an easy problem to diagnose.. The light you mention is the ASR light... Is the ABD light also coming on?

The fault will be one of the following:
- OVP relay
- ASR Control Module
- Wheel Speed Sensor
- Wiring

I had issues with mine but it was very intermittent... after fidling with things it seems to have laid itself to rest now.

Thanks for your response. I think that the ASR light is the one next to it which is off.

OVP appears to be fine as that normally increases RPM to 1500 and trips the ABS light on which this has not. I will check into the speed sensors and check wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom