1989 190E 2.5-16, 75,000 miles, FULL Service history.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I have a very good 1989 190E 2.5-16 which is for sale. I've had it for nearly a year and am reluctantly selling because I don't use it enough.

It's smoke silver/black half leather. The spec includes original 15 hole MB alloy wheels with excellent tyres, electric windows, electric tilt sunroof, electric heated passenger door mirror, headlamp wash/wipe, multi-point central locking, power steering, ABS, ASD (automatic locking differential), leather steering wheel & gear knob, front and rear headrests, rear centre armrest, self-levelling rear suspension, manual Getrag close ratio 5-speed transmission, excellent ear bleeding sound courtesy of Sony DJCA600 CD radio with 10 CD changer & extra Infinity 4521 10CM S speakers to go with the existing Pioneer speakers with a steering column mounted remote with electric aerial, unopened MB first aid kit, warning triangle & MB toolkit. It's fitted with a deafening, shrieking alarm, has all the books and manuals for the car, the ICE and the alarm, it has 2 sets of keys and a master. MOT'd until June 2005 & Taxed. I'll put a new MOT on for the buyer, which it will fly through

The car has 19 stamps in the book: 11 for sure from franchised MB dealers, 3 from various independents or possibly dealer's who's names I don't recognize, 1 from Silver Arrows & the last 4 from Andrew Gayle, a legend in independent MB service - (google him if you aren't familiar).

That averages out at about 1 visit to the service facility every 3,900 miles.

The car has been serviced/stamped at :
PDI (16.02.89), Sunningdale Carriage Co
1,967 (16.06.89), Greenoaks
6,760 (28.03.90), JR Tagger
8,444 (26.03.91), JR Tagger
11,732 (09.09.91), mileage & date filled in but no stamp.
14,911 (25.08.92), GP Motors, London SE1
20,301 (18.03.94), Rose & Young
23,664 (29.5.95), Rose & Young
28,305 (10.12.96), Rose & Young
36,043 (08.07.98), RT Tilley, W. Clandon, Surrey (name hard to read - stamped over writing)
40,887 (04.01.99), Sunningdale CC
44,712 (11.06.99), Sunningdale CC
48,090 (15.11.99), Sunningdale CC
49,570 (07.06.00), Sunningdale CC
51,075 (28.06.01), Silver Arrows
56,902 (26.03.02), Andrew Gayle
63,054 (05.09.02), Andrew Gayle
67,559 (31.03.03), Andrew Gayle
079. Andrew Gayle (71,255 NEW SPEEDO - At this point the previous owner changed the speedo because the trip recorder was faulty. I have the old speedo, the receipts from Andrew Gayle Mercedes showing first the cable was replaced & when that didn't fix the problem, a new speedo was fitted. It's all documented. Next service after new speedo reading 079, which is actually 71,334 (24.03.04).

That's a total of 19 stamps in the Maintenance Booklet in 75,000 miles. The clock now reads 3,888 for a grand total of 75,222 miles.

At the last Andy Gayle service 4 new tyres were fitted. All the fluids were changed as well. I changed the oil again myself in September '04 & it's going into Star Motors, Caversham for a service on 6.5.05, so that will be it's 20th service in 75,000 miles.

I have every one of the old MOT certificates to back up the mileage. The car was sold by Silver Arrows (http://www.silverarrows.co.uk) twice, the last time to the man I bought it from, who paid them £9,750 on 22.05.01.

Incidentally, the last owner made me swear I would only run it on Shell Optimax, disconnect the coil & turn it over (to circulate the oil) if it had been sitting for more than a couple of days & keep it in it's standard, non-modified condition. The last man was, by his own admission, obsessive/compulsive, and it showed in the way he looked after the car.

The car runs really well. It is fast, surefooted and the best balanced car I've ever owned. It's capable of covering ground at a prodigious pace. On twisty or undulating A and B roads it can out-run many much newer and MUCH more expensive sports cars and sports saloons. It regularly embarrasses the ignorant.

All in all it's a brilliant package combining speed, quickness, agility, balance, durability, desirability, smileability, prestige, rarity and Mercedes Benz legendary W201 1980's engineering and built quality. People who don't know anything about cars are surprised when they hear it's an '89 car - most thought it to be 2 or 3 years old.

I'm asking £6,450.

With these cars you either pay up front and buy the best you can find or you buy cheap and spend (probably) much more money trying to rectify years of abuse and neglect.

It's one of the few always loved, low mileage, properly serviced, never raced examples left.

Attachments

• Car-1.jpg
    Car-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Car-2.jpg
    Car-2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 167
  • Car-3.jpg
    Car-3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Sounds VERY interesting actually - please post pics if you can...

Is it like this?

190E_Evo_89.jpg

Sounds nice! :)

Scott - The one that you show is Blue-Black Metallic, smoke silver is pretty much silver, but not as bright as brilliant silver etc.

I think the one in your picture looks like an evo or something, that rear spoiler is definately larger than standard?

Will

Yes, you are right. Definitely an Evo - just looked at the filename of the image.

Are these the cars where 1st gear is at the bottom of the H pattern?

scotth_uk said:
Yes, you are right. Definitely an Evo - just looked at the filename of the image.

Are these the cars where 1st gear is at the bottom of the H pattern?

Yes, that is correct. It's a Getrag gearbox for the manual versions, and has a 'dogleg' first gear layout.

Really useful IMHO, get first gear out of the way and for fast A/B roads, you have a straight throw from second to third, with 90MPH available in third.

Easily good for 140+ MPH and handling to die for.

There was a feature in Mercedes Enthuisiast about what to look for on these models - there are a few weak areas, but overall they are great cars. :)

Will

Pics please!!!! Interior/Exterior!

scotth_uk,
I don't know how to post pictues any bigger than those rather small attachments. I can email some to you, or, perhaps someone could instruct me on how to put photos into the body of the posting.

Neil,

Might be interested in a closer look at the car.... Any chance I might be able to see it in the next week or so?

scotth_uk,
Of course there is, every chance!
Please send me a pm with an email address and your phone numbers and we'll go for a drive.
Neil

Neil,

Thanks for the viewing today, and for the ride. Will commence my homework mission - have already spoken to Australia at least 3 times since seeing you earlier. Speak to you later in the week.

To anyone else - this car is in great shape and goes very well.

This car was sold today through **********.com for v. near the asking price. Irish members might notice it howling around Cork.

What an excellent 2.5 neilrr. Shame it's now sold. Don't worry though as my 2.3 Cosworth is now up for sale (see thread above), but be quick as it's in the latest edition of "Mercedes Enthusiast".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom