1991 190E 2.6 Fresh Head Job but now new problems!! Please Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OverHeater

Car
1991 190E 2.6
So I bought a 1991 190E 2.6 with 151,000 miles and it was overheating. I put a new head gasket in and got the head shaved. I got it all back together today and now it has the hardest time starting cold! And then once its running and warmed up it seems to limp along. Doesn't run smooth, seems weak, poor throttle control. The good news is that the overheating seems to have stopped. Also since putting it all back together the ABS light is on AND my new stereo no longer works. My main concern is the hard starting and poor running. Any ideas?

The obvious one, to me, is that the timing's a tooth (or teeth) out.
Also, did you do a compression test?

Hope you manage to fix it.

Check all the vacuum lines, make sure they are all connected.

The obvious one, to me, is that the timing's a tooth (or teeth) out.
Also, did you do a compression test?

Hope you manage to fix it.

I agree. It does sound like a timing issue. The ABS kight could mean the over voltage protection relay has either blown it's fuse or has somehow become damaged. did you jump start the car at any point? This can damage the OVP if you don't protect from power spikes by switching the lights on before jumping.

Thank you for the replies everyone. We are going to check timing and compression later today. It's an old car and I've already found some shoddy vacuum lines. Does anyone know of a guide or walkthrough to the whole vacuum system? I understand they're a common nuisance on these cars?

As for the OVP Relay, yes when the battery was being put in the wires were crossed for a split second and a spark was created. I assume this blew a fuse in my stereo at least and probably elsewhere in the system as well. Is there a good resource for diagnosing the electrical system in this car? My goal is to eventually understand and inspect all of the features and systems on the car and try to get it in the best shape possible, but it does need some work.

I would change the OVP relay first or at least the fuses initially, that may solve all of your issues.
OVP controls many of the idle electronics.

The amount of OVP's ive replaced is unbelievable... they can cause all sorts of issues.

Thank you for the replies everyone. We are going to check timing and compression later today. It's an old car and I've already found some shoddy vacuum lines. Does anyone know of a guide or walkthrough to the whole vacuum system? I understand they're a common nuisance on these cars?

As for the OVP Relay, yes when the battery was being put in the wires were crossed for a split second and a spark was created. I assume this blew a fuse in my stereo at least and probably elsewhere in the system as well. Is there a good resource for diagnosing the electrical system in this car? My goal is to eventually understand and inspect all of the features and systems on the car and try to get it in the best shape possible, but it does need some work.

try the electrics diagnostic section on here--- http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11832/?requestedDocId=11832

sorry posted the wrong link now corrected

Last edited:
There is loads of information on everything 190 over on mercedes-190.co.uk

Not that there isn't here also:cool:

As Olly and Jay say almost certainly the OVP On that car it supplies
1. the engine ECU
2. The ABS unit!
3. the motorised idle regulator!

It is as they say--- a slam dunk. Renew the OVP

fuse

The fuse on the OVP was blown. Replaced it and the car started right up. Thanks guys!

The fuse on the OVP was blown. Replaced it and the car started right up. Thanks guys!

As I said

As Olly and Jay say almost certainly the OVP On that car it supplies
1. the engine ECU
2. The ABS unit!
3. the motorised idle regulator!

It is as they say--- a slam dunk. Renew the OVP -------or--- maybe just the fuse.:eek::eek::eek:;););)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom