1991 190E Starting Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffwebb

Car
E55 AMG + Suzuki Burgman 400
My neighbour here in sunny Spain has a 1991 190E 1800CC. When the car is cold it starts fine but when hot, although he can hear the fuel pump working, it won't start until it cools down. I've looked at previous threads and they seem to suggest the CPS. Does this apply to his car? If so, how can we test it? Also, does a Car of this vintage have a diagnostic plug. Excuse my ignorance but it's not my car, I'm just trying to help a pal and fellow owner. Regards, Jeff

Could be the crank position sensor I suppose. Although its not usual on this model they are "getting on a bit" now. I would suspect it may be the EZL IGNITION unit which is bolted to the inner wing or maybe the HT coil.The heatsink compound between the inner wing and the unit base dries off causing overheating. You could try cleaning the mating surfaces up and recoating with heatsink compound to see if this helps. A quick test might be to get a hold of some freezer spray and try cooling the unit temporarily to see if it restores function. Have a look at this site also. http://www.mercedes190.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom