1991 230TE Oh body!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzers

Car
230TE, but mum had a new 230TE in 1984 (W123), (not the same one) mines a W124
A few weeks ago I bought a white 230TE estate. It's tatty, the body needs some attention, though it is mechanically sound. About a fortnight ago, my brother offered me his power wash machine, so I set about cleaning the car, under the arches etc.. when woomph! the power jet water went through the passenger wing, lo and behold there arose a new orifice to my car, full of orangey brown shrapnel within! Anyway I called merc, they would like about %35 of the value of the car for one, I called Rob parker who offered me a pattern for less than %10. IF there is anyone kind enough to transplant (or know of) a white wing for a broken one, I would be rather much obliged to hand over the few shekels that remain in moth ridden trouser pockets.
N.B my mechanic did a few things to it and had a look around.. there seems to also be a similar disposition arising possibly in the near future on the drivers side rear quarter panel too.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

There are a few white W124s breaking on ebay

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

You'd probably be better off getting a new one though, and get it properly rust proofed on the inside before fitting. I haven't one myself, but it seems to just bolt on, so shouldn't be a massive issue to fit yourself.

If you're looking for rust, check under the window seals of the side windows in the cargo area and around the aerial mounting on the rear wing, and teh rear wheel arches.

If you're feeling really brave, flip the jacking point covers and check them as well.

As part of their engineering excellence, MB incorporated not 1, but 12 sacrifical anodes on these cars!

Front wings are bolt on. However pattern parts often need tweaking to fit properly. You are probably better getting a good used genuine wing rather than a new pattern part. Rear wings are repairable with a patch by any good bodyshop.
As above check the jacking points and rear subframe mounts as these can rot.

Thank you for your suggestions, I have spoken to a man who is breaking a white one, off of ebay, he will check the condition of the wings.. I have checked the door seal, and on one door there is some bubbling. the jacking points do have some surface rust, though not sure how deep that it is. I haven't got to the rear subframe mounts... yet...

The jacking points are usually superficial rust only. Its relatively rare for there to be serious rust in the actual structure.

His wings aren't too healthy. I had the transmission fluid changed the other day, now when the car changes gears, it kind of kicks. (if that makes sense) So for example from 1st to 2nd gear, you feel an unexpected gear change.

If the "kick" is when the engine is cold thats normal - they all do it. They hold onto the lower gears longer until warm and it gives a very jerky change. If when warm then something is not right

Okay, vell to conclude this episode, I found a rust-free almandine wing for £35 and it is now at the sprayers.. and they're charging £150.. so no more gaping holes in the wing.
I'm going to attempt to attach it myself, should I put any kind of protective coating on the inside?
thanks all.

Yes get it painted on both sides and then I would use a couple of coats of waxoyl... once whilst its off the car and then again once its fitted.

Definitely protect it. The design traps muck in that spot resulting in the corrosion.

...I'm sorry, did I misread this?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps we have been lucky. Currently have a 1995 S124 and previously had a 1990 300e-24. Both had superficial rust around the jacking points but the structure was fine. In fact neither have had any structural corrosion.

Both my cars have needed some repairs on these...and so have a lot of other people!
If yours are still good - lucky!
As you say, they should definitely be protected - especially under any cladding as it can creep up unnoticed when they are out of sight all the time...

cheers!

attached, erm aligned?! and waxoyled, what a difference a non rusty wing makes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom