• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

1991 Mercedes 560 sec

AVRO560

Car
Mercedes 560 sec
Was wondering if anyone knows anybody who maybe interested in restoring a 1991 Mercedes 560 sec? I have not had any luck locally. Many have sounded very enthusiastic on the phone, but never got back to me. Could be that it is the European version, that of course, has the disadvantage of being LHD. However, it does have the advantage of having the full 300HP.

Unless your 560 sec has sentimental value it would be easier to sell the car you have as a project or for parts and then purchase an already restored or good condition unrestored car. Probably work out cheaper as well.
The only cost effective way to restore any vehicle is to cut out the hundreds of hours of labour costs and do it yourself.

Unless your 560 sec has sentimental value it would be easier to sell the car you have as a project or for parts and then purchase an already restored or good condition unrestored car. Probably work out cheaper as well.
The only cost effective way to restore any vehicle is to cut out the hundreds of hours of labour costs and do it yourself.
Probably right. No sentimental value or anything. Seems a shame to let it go though. It was one of the best cars that I have driven on the autobahn on my way back to the UK after working overseas for a while. I did 260kph (160mph) on the autobahn and it felt like I was only doing around 70mph. Admittedly, that was dead on the red line at 6000rpm though. It probably wouldn’t need too much work to get it through an MOT, but I can’t do the work myself anymore, as my health has failed me. Thanks for the honest reply though. This is better than all sorts of enthusiasm and promises to get back to me, but never bothered.
Thanks again, cheers.

Was wondering if anyone knows anybody who maybe interested in restoring a 1991 Mercedes 560 sec? I have not had any luck locally. Many have sounded very enthusiastic on the phone, but never got back to me. Could be that it is the European version, that of course, has the disadvantage of being LHD. However, it does have the advantage of having the full 300HP.
Where are you?

What kind of restoration does it need?

And how much to get it through An MoT ?

What do you want to do with it afterwards?

As others have already pointed out, a renovation is a Labour of love. It’s rarely “economic.” See “Manor Park Auctions” for video of lots of classics being sold for less than their renovation cost

And it’s all especially difficult for a LhD in England as it has such a small market for new owners over here.

I would be clear about what needs to be done done - what you would like to have done now if funds allow, and what you can defer and do later - and how much that might cost before making a decision.

Restoration could describe anything from a respray and replacing a piece of interior trim all the way through to complete disassembly, replace/refurbish and then reassembly of the whole car.

The cost would therefore vary considerably. If it’s former then we’ve not, if it’s the latter then do it if you have deep pockets, if it’s somewhere in between then it may be more cost effective to follow ChipChop’s advice.

Whereabouts are you?

Anything to do to old MBs requires very deep pockets. A 60K£ has 60K£ running costs even if to days value is only a few ££££s

Probably right. No sentimental value or anything. Seems a shame to let it go though. It was one of the best cars that I have driven on the autobahn on my way back to the UK after working overseas for a while. I did 260kph (160mph) on the autobahn and it felt like I was only doing around 70mph. Admittedly, that was dead on the red line at 6000rpm though. It probably wouldn’t need too much work to get it through an MOT, but I can’t do the work myself anymore, as my health has failed me. Thanks for the honest reply though. This is better than all sorts of enthusiasm and promises to get back to me, but never bothered.
Thanks again, cheers.
A shame indeed. Sounds like it would be worth putting your car through an mot test, as already suggested by Wimbledon Mike earlier in the thread, to see what the current state of play is. At least then you can get a ball park figure for getting your sec back on the road.

Re- values there is a mot'd 560sec being auctioned currently on ebay. No mention of rust in it's mot history. Assuming it ends up selling to a genuine buyer this may give you an idea of current c126 values and how much you can safely spend on restoring your car without going too much into the red.

Sorry to hear of your current health issues. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Here's a handful of RHD SEC's sold by the Historics Auction house over the last few years.

Restored, the 560 SEC will still only be worth just a few grand. (There's a £25k car here but that's a perfect unrestored 31k mile UK car)

There's a lot to be said for keeping an old car, that you love, running with a bit of TLC. But you need to be the Sultan of Brunei to renovate an SEC.

Historics search is here: Search

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.00.56.png

Here's a handful of RHD SEC's sold by the Historics Auction house over the last few years.

Restored, the 560 SEC will still only be worth just a few grand. (There's a £25k car here but that's a perfect unrestored 31k mile UK car)

There's a lot to be said for keeping an old car, that you love, running with a bit of TLC. But you need to be the Sultan of Brunei to renovate an SEC.

Historics search is here: Search

View attachment 149281

OMG - that Lorisner one.......

As you know, I ofen idly wonder what I might one day have as a toy. XK8? CLS55? SEC?

I'm a succer for a 560 on Monoblocks. And body kit. In blue/grey/black.

That one ticks all the boxes for under £10k....

OMG - that Lorisner one.......

As you know, I ofen idly wonder what I might one day have as a toy. XK8? CLS55? SEC?

I'm a succer for a 560 on Monoblocks. And body kit. In blue/grey/black.

That one ticks all the boxes for under £10k....
£10k. And that’s the annual running cost too….

I’ll have the gold LHD 560 SEC that started off with Nigel Mansell and went on to be Sewell’s steed to tour Europe. I think it’s back with MB now

Portrait of a driver: Brian Sewell

IMG_1814.jpeg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I still fancy the 944 S2 3.0 that I didn’t buy “back in the day…”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom