1991 W1126 500SE rust under rear windscreen - how?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roygarth

Car
1983 W123 230E
This is a known weakspot on these cars and mine is now showing first signs of it.

My question is how does the water get through?

My guess is that water is leaking through between glass and rubber seal?

If so is this because seal has dried and contracted slightly and therefore not creating a tight seal anymore?

If so is it worth replacing the seal? Or would I haver to replace entire windscreen?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I recently replaced the front screen seal on my 116 due to it having perished and was leaking quite badly. Fortunately for me there were no rust issues. My advice is to find an old school screen fitter who has worked on older cars with chrome trims before. The guy I used charged me £100 cash but it was worth it as he knew exactly what he was doing and managed to remove the screen and refit it without any damage. I used a genuine MB seal too, not a pattern part.

I believe the rear sunroof drain pipes run down the 'C' pillars so may be worth checking to see if these are blocked, not sure if this could be related to your issue though.

The W201 is of the same era. It's not unknown for water to get under the seal and cause corrosion of the channel at the base of the screen. The only way to find out is to remove the rear screen and check. Any corrosion needs to be dealt with now before it gets any worse. If the seal itself needs replacing (it's now nearly 20 years old), then it's visit the dealer time and fit a new seal.

We use Cap't Tolleys on boats , it's good stuff.

According to the MDS is an aqueous dispersion of styrene – acrylic acid ester copolymer for anyone interested.:dk:

The screen has to be removed and a new section of steel welded in. Mercedes sell a repair panel for not a lot of money.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that the seals are no longer available from MB .

Pity , as my 280 has the same problem and my 500 is just showing the beginnings of it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom