1992 190E 2.6..... mmmm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nebulaman

Car
C200k (2001)
I have a 1995 C180 Sport at the moment which I got about 6 months ago? It's a nice enough car which I enjoy very much but it has been mucked around with. It has DOTZ alloys with spacers on one wheel only. It only takes a small bump and thats the tracking gone. I live down country lanes so the sports suspension can be jarring. It also needs an indicator stalk fitting (got one from a scrapper) and the exhaust heat shield tightened up. My local Indy reckons the cat is loose and is rattling in the manifold. It has been an excellent foray into the Merc world. I wish I could stretch to £10k for a car as there are plenty of nice merc specimens to drool over. My budget.... whatever I can get for the C180. I do like the 190 but I have only seen cloth, manual box examples for sale near me..... until today!

It's a 1992 190E 2.6 on at £695 near me. It has the leather and the auto box. I know I should check the shocks, ball joints, timing chain, oil pressure and 4 round wheels. Anything else that I should watch out for? It looks totally unmessed with from the only photo so I think a trip to see it is warranted. It doesn't list the milage but that doesn't worry me as long as the rest of the car is in top nick.

In advance ..... cheers!

At that price--if it checks out --go for it!--you could prob own it, drive it, tinker about with it, enjoy it --then sell it later and lose nothing.
Worse case?--it turns out to be a right dog --it'll still have some value --and you won't lose a fortune
They're very highly regarded.
Long MOT would be nice too
Good luck
Vic

Also check:
* Door cards (may have blown - perennial 190 issue)
* Oil leaks (may just be rocker/timing cover gasket, worse case it's a head gasket issue)
* Operation of the cooling fan (viscous on 2.6 I think)
* Rust at jacking points, front wings, spare wheel well

At £695, it sounds a potentially good buy

On my C180 I spent £600 on service, brake disks/pads/sensors, viscous fan, door strap and time looking at other small niggles. An expensive way to learn but I have learned none the less! I think I could easily spend another £600 sorting the car out and thats before changing those boy racer halfords alloys!

Back to the 190: Thanks for your tips people. I have also been advised to check for rust at the base of the c-pillars. I am fed up trying to chase petrol prices so without the funds to buy a S500 or C32, the 2.6 looks like fun!

Edit: Whats the engine/body code for the car?

Last edited:
Cylinder head gasket also a possible failure--- examine all the fluids carefully especially the radiator header tank. Auto box should operate seamlessly also. Front springs often fail from corrosion - not always spotted at MOT time. Rear subframe front mounts and rear sill jacking points and inner rear wheel arches are the crucial structural areasn as has been said

I've got two 2.6 autos - for a good reason. They're brilliant cars. One is my everyday car and the other my Sunday go to meeting mollycoddled machine. At that money, with leather, unless it's a rusty heap - snap it up.

Sounds like you've convinced yourself, now pull the trigger :D

And post some pictures!

Hark. Was that the sound of a Sistol Pot.

Again get it done. Or at least put a link up to the car and let someone else in. Pretty Please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom