1992 190E 2.6 Sportline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BaldGuy

MB Enthusiast
Car
No longer a Benz...
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a very good welder who can replace some jacking points on a 190, a common issue as you'll probably know and a very good job is needed as the cars mint for it's age.... The car's in the Reading area and we'd need someone good local to that area if anyone can recomend someone....

Cheers!

I've used Silchester Bodyshop (not Garage) and been happy with its work.

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a very good welder who can replace some jacking points on a 190, a common issue as you'll probably know and a very good job is needed as the cars mint for it's age.... The car's in the Reading area and we'd need someone good local to that area if anyone can recomend someone....

Cheers!
I have no recommendations for you sadly (not in your area) but are you sure it is the jacking points that are rusty or is it just the area adjacent to the jacking points?

The jacking tube, its structure inside the sill and the rubber floor bung mount are constructed of very thick metal (3+mm) and rarely rust. On my w201 the jacking tube had surface rust but was still completely solid. Currently have the welder out repairing the floor/ sill area adjacent to the jacking point and that is made of much thinner metal. Not that difficult an area to repair with a couple of simple repair sections, the hardest thing is taking off the plastic sill cover (facelift w201) and trying not to snap the front wing sacco panel clips.

Last edited:
Sincere thanks to toby1 for the Silchester Bodyshop recomendation, my buddy has booked it into the garage after calling the bodyshop for the welding work needed and a few brake lines to be made up and fitted along with a "do anything else that's needed" ask.... Very much appreciated!

Also to ChipChop for the detailed explanation of how its constructed :)

Sincere thanks to toby1 for the Silchester Bodyshop recomendation, my buddy has booked it into the garage after calling the bodyshop for the welding work needed and a few brake lines to be made up and fitted along with a "do anything else that's needed" ask.... Very much appreciated!

Also to ChipChop for the detailed explanation of how its constructed :)
CHECK where the rear subframe front mounts attach to the main body --another weak spot---most body repair sections are NLA so have to be fabricated :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom