1992 190E carat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
more pictures

Last edited:
Doesn't seem like a great deal of work for a ~ twenty year old, 100k+ mile car.

So long as there's no significant 'structural' rot, has to be worth taking on as a running resto, if you like the car that is, and the price is right of course :)

Front shocks - £150-200 (are they actually broken yet?)
Battery - £60-70?
Water pump - not expensive I would think.
Service - £50 or so in bits

A nice looking, rare car that won't shouldn't lose any money now. Negotiate with the seller on the bits it needs and see how you get on? :thumb:

a few more

Last edited:
it looks a lot better in the pictures i must say

the color is that grey /black the same as the c36 i had

the car also sits very low to the ground makes it look like it would be a pain over speed bumps it looks stock were they all that low

Paint colour looks like 199 'blue-black metallic' to me, nice colour and pretty easy to match if you need any bodywork done :thumb:

Bearing in mind that it's a modified 'Carat' car, it's likely been lowered compared to a standard 190E. Probably nice on good roads, but a new set of springs or even thicker spring pads would raise it up slightly if you needed to.

i also found just a little black paste in the header tank not a lot but a little

and the usual leak from the 103 front left above the alternator

How much is the car up for?

Make an offer bearing in mind what you think it needs spending on it, nohing to lose - especially as the seller has had it standing for a while :)

Think the side trim would be standard MB rather than C Du C so should be obtainable. Best bet would be a breaker as you would wince at the price from MB. If it's a C Du C then might be difficult to source a replacement at a reasonable price ? Not sure what you meant about draining the system for the winter- if it means the system was " dry" when the engine was running I would be wary of CHG failure. Why you would drain a system is beyond me a proper 50/50 WATER ANTIFREEZE MIX should normally be fine. - unless there was extensive coolant loss in the recent past topped up with just water of course ? = CHG problem Did you get a test drive? Because its a rare car its probably worth saving. I would start at the asking price and discuss with the seller deducting the repair costs of the faults elucidated above as Will suggested.

Why you would drain a system is beyond me a proper 50/50 WATER ANTIFREEZE MIX should normally be fine

i didnt drain the system the owner did last christmas to stop damage in the freeze

i said to him all he had to do was put antifreeze in and she would have been fine

now the water pump is chattering like mad i say a new one needed

Good advice from Will and Graeme. Definitely well worth saving. That interior is soooo rare! Far too good to break and even if you did, it's a lot of hassle. better to negotiate a fair (to both parties) price given the amount of work required and take your time bringing it back to life. Then you'll have something of value and a keeper.

also one trim piece the driver's side behind the rear wheel to bumper is missing he said it fell off and lost it
how hard would that be to get ?

This panel is definitely CD rather than MB. I know because I've got a complete CD bodykit which had this bit missing. It took me 2 years of constant vigilance to find it.

There's a bloke named Toby on the official club site who has been looking for one of these for about 5 years.

They're rare & hard to find. Best bet is finding someone who has an incomplete with this bit selling cheap or willing to split it up.

Interior looks like standard Orion grey leather with a CD steering wheel, dials & some wood which may or may not be CD. This is the full monty I think - http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/109437-my-2-6-auto-carat-duchatelet.html

What's the asking price for the car?

hi the leather is very soft and done by carat the dash is grey Swade and stitched looks really nice

also the seats are in great condition

Last edited:
I have a 2.6 with a leather interior in orion grey which looks like this

2009bikesSp-lineseafront0044.jpg

The grey steering wheel, lighter dashboard & centre console of the Carat look much more classy IMHO. Neil is right about the missing panel. The Carat one is deeper, to match the other panels and they are definitely like hen's teeth.

hi been to see the car

the both rear arches have rust just on the inside edge
the front have very little but just caught in time i think

also one trim piece the driver's side behind the rear wheel to bumper is missing he said it fell off and lost it
how hard would that be to get ?

also two little pieces of rust on b just buy the top of windscreen but on the pillar

i found also a little under the car near the passenger side on the floor

but only surface rust were some one jacked it their

the inside grey leather all good
both sun visors have broken clips to keep them up

Swede dash is clean and the leather

the engine looks ok had new points fitted ran like a dream but the water pump was chattering the guy drained the water from system to stop freezing in winter

needs polly v belt full service and new battery front shocks back ones done

in my mind a lot of work she is on the brink of being lost if she is not winter stored or broken for parts

I ALSO FOUND A SMALL BIT OF BLACK PASTE IN THE WATER TANK
also a leak in the usual place in the 103 engine front left above the alternator

could be a nice car but needs a lot of money to be spent

what would the interior , wheels , dash , engine , headlights , brake lights , body kit
be worth if broken

a few thoughts going trough my mind ?

It would be a sin to break that car - don't even consider it .

The 2.6 is arguably the best model in the range and the W201 was much better engineered than everything that followed .

yes its not going to be broken im going to buy it i think the owner is away for three weeks

when he return s ill prob buy it

the leather seats are different

This panel is definitely CD rather than MB. I know because I've got a complete CD bodykit which had this bit missing. It took me 2 years of constant vigilance to find it.

There's a bloke named Toby on the official club site who has been looking for one of these for about 5 years.

They're rare & hard to find. Best bet is finding someone who has an incomplete with this bit selling cheap or willing to split it up.

Interior looks like standard Orion grey leather with a CD steering wheel, dials & some wood which may or may not be CD. This is the full monty I think - http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/109437-my-2-6-auto-carat-duchatelet.html

What's the asking price for the car?

Toby is a member here as well , though he doesn't visit this site so often .

yes its not going to be broken im going to buy it i think the owner is away for three weeks

when he return s ill prob buy it

the leather seats are different

If you are getting into 190 ownership , here is a link to the best forum to join - ( someone on there might have that part you need )

Mercedes-190.co.uk

thank you i have registered with them

i still think it will be very hard to get that trim i may have to get one made from a reverse copy of the passenger on

If you can find someone to do that , it may be worth getting a few made , probably negligible extra cost once you have a mould , then sell them to cover your costs ?

There may be someone on the 190 forum with an incomplete kit who can help you .

eBay.de can also be worth watching .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom