1992 190E carat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horgantrevor

MB Enthusiast
Car
w202 c43 & w210 E220 CDI estate w219 W221
been offered a w201 1992 E 190 carat model

full history one owner from new he owned her in england and moved to ireland many years ago and now his storage is gone so needs to sell very nice guy loves the car

she has the full carat body kit and wheels and cream leather interior she is black in color

its been offered to me for nice money is their any thing to look out for in the 190 as im not as up too speed on them as the w202

any help would be great

The 190s are very solid,what engine is the car

Nice car , ive grown vey fond of 190s lately , although back when they where curent models i didnt like them .

2.3 L engine

I don`t think that was option here so it must be an export.Just found out is a 16v one you`re talking about

Last edited:
the guy bought her from new and the carat spec is also from factory

thats just it i dont know much about the 190

could it be one of these
2299 Inj ECE I4 16V 185 (136) 143 (235) 190E 2.3-16
2299 Inj RÜF I4 16V 177 (130) 140 (225) 190E 2.3-16
2299 Inj KAT I4 16V 170 (125) 137 (220) 190E 2.3-16

They stopped making the 2.3-16 in late '88.

2.3 8 valve was never offered in the UK.

Do you have the VIN?

ah the mystery begins

Any pictures?

viewing tomorrow ill post them then and let you know

yes that is her i just found out she is a 2.6 not a 2.3 mystery over what do you think of her i love the look and i would gladly use her

Looks good to me, it's got the rare steering wheel as well. Make sure all 4 of the wheel centers are there, they are hard to find.

thank for the info im starting to feel like its christmas cant wait to view here i hope the engine and gearbox are good and the diff

yes that is her i just found out she is a 2.6 not a 2.3 mystery over what do you think of her i love the look and i would gladly use her

Potentially a good find with a very sound early history. Apart from the quite common cylinder head gasket issue-- usually goes to the rear of the engine where the cylinders run hotter-look for staining /scum in the coolant expansion vessel or a misfire when cold the thing to check is the condition of the steel body work under all that lovely cladding. You can't do this directly- the present owner would object :p but look for clues elsewhere as others have mentioned. rear sills / jacking points, rear subframe mounts [the front ones ] bottom of rear window/inside the boot, front inner wings at the front just behind the headlights. good luck.

Looks like a very nice and clean car,not many 1992 reg 2.6s about

If the bodywork in the areas Grober has highlighted are sound, then definitely buy it. The 2.6 190E is a superb car and that particular car with the Carat kit, wheels and interior trim - rare as hen's teeth. My daily driver 2.6 has over 200k miles on it and still runs like a clock. If the car is in decent condition and drives OK, -virtually impossible to lose money on.

Thx ill be back

with info

hi been to see the car

the both rear arches have rust just on the inside edge
the front have very little but just caught in time i think

also one trim piece the driver's side behind the rear wheel to bumper is missing he said it fell off and lost it
how hard would that be to get ?

also two little pieces of rust on b just buy the top of windscreen but on the pillar

i found also a little under the car near the passenger side on the floor

but only surface rust were some one jacked it their

the inside grey leather all good
both sun visors have broken clips to keep them up

Swede dash is clean and the leather

the engine looks ok had new points fitted ran like a dream but the water pump was chattering the guy drained the water from system to stop freezing in winter

needs polly v belt full service and new battery front shocks back ones done

in my mind a lot of work she is on the brink of being lost if she is not winter stored or broken for parts

I ALSO FOUND A SMALL BIT OF BLACK PASTE IN THE WATER TANK
also a leak in the usual place in the 103 engine front left above the alternator

could be a nice car but needs a lot of money to be spent

what would the interior , wheels , dash , engine , headlights , brake lights , body kit
be worth if broken

a few thoughts going trough my mind ?

Last edited:
a few pictures

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom