1992 300CE vs 300CE-24. How to tell difference by looking at the engine??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jatboy

Car
AMG
Hi

Does anyone know what the visual differences of the engine are to differentiate one from the other pls ?

Pics would be great 👍

Thanks

M103 in the 300CE is SOHC, black cam cover, spark plugs close to the exhaust manifold. M104 in the 300CE-24 is DOHC, lighter cam cover with black cover over the spark plugs, which are in the middle of the engine, between the two cams.

104 300-24
m104-300-24v-engine-770x360.jpg

s.gif

dsc05937-jpg.2645413

s.gif

s.gif

Last edited:
Which would you say is better?
Depends what you like. M103 is not so much of a revver, but makes good torque. M104 likes to rev and is a bit more sporty. Neither is a bad engine

Depends what you like. M103 is not so much of a revver, but makes good torque. M104 likes to rev and is a bit more sporty. Neither is a bad engine
Only asking as I know an old chap who’s pretty knowledgeable and according to himself the later engine can be a bit of a headache in comparison to the earlier one. I know there’s a slight power increase with the 104 but does this weigh out the minor technical agro over the 103?

M104 likes to weep out the back corner of the head gasket on the exhaust side. It’s an annoying foible of an otherwise lovely engine.

Both of them are as smooth as a spoon through warm butter.

Both of them are as smooth as a spoon through warm butter.
Prior to getting into mercs I was and still am into early 2000 BMW’s and regards to engine reliability I’m think about Chucking the spare M111k in my 46. Been an absolute gem in my 202 and people I know that have had them only speak of some minor issues like others from that era. Very well built just a shame about the metal quality really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom