1992 320e AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
Thinking about selling the E55 again and getting something a bit more classic.

I have always loved the W123 coupes but I have also seen this for sale which I quite like and wondered what your opinions were re price, potential issues, known problems with this model and a rough idea to sort the mechanical issues mentioned etc..

Its a 1992/3 320e with factory fitted AMG bodykit, finishing in a sort of bronze colour, not everyones taste I know but looks good with the cream leather. This is how the ad reads.....

Only 3 owners from new with a full service history, Power steering, Central Locking, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Full Cream leather interior in fantastic condition, only 70000 miles from new, Original AMG body kit from the factory, Totally standard.

Its been standing for a year and wants some work to recommision, Currently No MOT

Needs a new Alternator
New Rear Brake pipes
New Transmission cooling pipes, Currently cannot be driven due to transmission fluid loss through corroded pipes.
Some small areas of paint, Cosmetic only

Its up for £995

What do you think, too much money? Could be worth a punt?

Last edited:
I'm with Adam,

Non-Runner
Rotten brake pipes
Rotten transmission pipes
NO MOT
NO TAX

Where the hell are they getting £995 from??

See if he'll take £600 and have a go ...

If you can do them yourself , none of the issues mentioned are insurmountable .... if you have to pay to have them done , it might be different.

I agree , looks like it could be a nice car , but go in lower than a grand.

I'd want to see it running before parting with any cash though.

Looks nice but agree that it looks as though it could be a money pit unless you're able to do a lot of the work yourself.

£995 seems very steep considering it's actually a dealer that's selling it! It's a shame as it looks as though it had been looked after / not abused.

Looks nice but agree that it looks as though it could be a money pit unless you're able to do a lot of the work yourself.

£995 seems very steep considering it's actually a dealer that's selling it! It's a shame as it looks as though it had been looked after / not abused.

Thats what I've been thinking. Might give them a ring tomorrow. Only other problem is that its 365 miles away! :eek:

better one out there Leigh, gearbox could have been sh*gged due to fluid loss, wiring loom, etc etc etc, plus you dont want to see it running till the gearbox is sorted otherwise its trashed. Rear brake pipes could actually mean full front to rear too

Ditto, how long did it run after losing the fluid?

No aircon either, not a must but certainly desirable on a top of the range AMG ?

Needs to be 500 to 600 to take such a risk, delivery can be bought a lot cheaper, there is a forum member on here who does vehicle movements, not dear either.

It sounds like a very risky punt to me. I suspect that the tyres will have deformed over the last 12 months as they haven't been rotated. I dont personally think the car is special enough to effectively restore - just my humble opinion!

Update

Spoke to the garage owner today, turns out it was an old boy who owned it and became ill so couldn't drive anymore. The garage owner took it for an MOT and it failed because of the rear brake pipe corrosion and the gearbox pipes leaking slightly. The car still drives ok and the gearbox isn't knackered. So it looks like it might be worth while after all.

There is a bit of rust bubbling through on the front wings, normal for 124's so I understand and new wings are cheap enough. The alternator problem could be as simply as a broken earth strap but worse case senario means a secondhand alternator from a breaker.

Also had a result on transportation, the garage oposite where I work have just bought a Transit recovery vehicle and said I can borrow it to collect the car if I buy it.

Just waiting for some close up pics to be sent before I make my mind up.

I think you've made your mind up ;)

Nice car but needs abit of work.

The wings you can purchase from ECP for a quite reasonable price.

Ask if the car moves in a straight line (aligned straight) and if the brakes/suspension are up to it.

Might need to spend more redoing the discs and pads...

Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
That's the sort of thing I'd buy, on the grounds I'd likely get the best part of £1000 back from the bodykit alone if it proved to be a dog.

On a list of dumb ways I've blown £1000, buying that car would be a long way down it.

I actually like it, I get the feeling that with £1000 spent on it, it could be a belter if it's solid.

good luck with that one Leigh, just shows that with a bit more "digging", a potential "no thats gonna be a dog" prospect can actually turn out ok :)

Been in negotiations with the seller and he is offering it to me for £800, might be able to squeeze a bit more off, maybe another £50 I'm guessing.

Therefore, in your humble opinions, when this car is fully sorted what sort of value do you put on it, given the low mileage, full history and the AMG kit etc?

Leigh.:)

Given to a low spec if is rustfree,i would say 4-5k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom