1992 W124 300TD - Noisy Tappets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomghannon

Car
1992 W124 300TD, 2001 W210 E320CDI
Hi all,

Long time lurker here - first time poster!

As the title says, I have a 1992 W124 300TD with 231,000 miles.

Mechanically, the car has been faultless - however it has a persistent problem with what I assume are noisy tappets. I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and in the last two changes I ran an engine flush which doesn't seem to have cured the problem. I use 5w30 semi-synthetic oil as advised by a number of mechanic friends.

My questions, is there anything else I can do along with or instead of the engine flush and also would I be better off using fully synthetic oil.

Thanks

Hi, change the tappets, they cost about £10-12 each from gsf, well i'm suggesting get them all 12 done. if you have a friendly mechanic who knows what he's doing it's 2 hrs job with a pint of lager...

Hi

I agree, just change them, i tried changing just 2 to start with and then bit the bullet and bought the remaining 10 and she has been as silent as a mouse chewing paper since and that was 7 years ago!!

Easy to change too

Hi all,

Long time lurker here - first time poster!

As the title says, I have a 1992 W124 300TD with 231,000 miles.

Mechanically, the car has been faultless - however it has a persistent problem with what I assume are noisy tappets. I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and in the last two changes I ran an engine flush which doesn't seem to have cured the problem. I use 5w30 semi-synthetic oil as advised by a number of mechanic friends.

My questions, is there anything else I can do along with or instead of the engine flush and also would I be better off using fully synthetic oil.

Thanks

Given the miles I might be tempted to try 10/40w to see if that makes a difference.

What spec oil do MB recommend for this engine?

If you do change them give these guys a try, paid about £8ish each for mine :thumb:

UltraParts

Pardon me all, what do you mean by tappets?
I tried Google to translate it, Google translated it to another word I don't know :confused:

In Yank speak

Hydraulic Lifters(They fit in between the Valve Stem and the Camshaft.On top of the Valve)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 15 01.18.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 15 01.18.gif
    35.8 KB · Views: 49
  • ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 15 01.19.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 15 01.19.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Just been quoted €32.75 ea + VAT = €39.62 (x12) = €475.44 from my local friendly main stealer.

I assume (hope) I can get these cheaper elsewhere.

Does know the Mercedes part no and any suggestions on who to try to obtain these.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Just been quoted €32.75 ea + VAT = €39.62 (x12) = €475.44 from my local friendly main stealer.

I assume (hope) I can get these cheaper elsewhere.

Does know the Mercedes part no and any suggestions on who to try to obtain these.

Thanks.

Did you try the link in my post?

Also very possibly injector knock, they'll be worn at that mileage.

Loosen each one of (13mm spanner) one by one and see if knock stops, if so you've found it.

Do you run on comedy fuel?

I have a working spare for sale if you need it, I bought 6 from a breakers and only needed 5 for my 250d. It's been tested. See: http://gb.adings.com/?classifieds;module=view;id=163

Last edited:
try GSF car parts, they are about £12, but if you ask nicely they might give you discount. anyway, staff they selling is OEM INA, so I wouldn't think twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom