1993 300 SL Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris H 300SL

Car
Mercedes 300SL and Daimler XJ40
Treated myself to a 1993 300 SL convertible (with a hard-top). Wasn't really looking but caught my eye and the price was right!
It's in fair condition, no significant rust but has some foul looking after market wheels on. So the wheels must go, and I'd like to replace with Mercedes wheels.

Can anyone tell me what size and style of wheel the car would have had originally, and if I want to put bigger wheels on - maximum size and suggested style that would suit this car?
Many thanks,
Chris.

Originals would have likely been either 15 hole or 8 hole, 8x16".

The original wheels would have been either of the mentioned above in 8JX16 ET34, AMG wheels would have been optional in either 17" or 18" which look good.

Only 17" AMG (3-piece) as an option on a '93 car, I think. But 18s (as I have on mine) look good IMHO.

BTB 500 said:
Only 17" AMG (3-piece) as an option on a '93 car, I think. But 18s (as I have on mine) look good IMHO.

Any chance of a picture? I'm interested in a wheel change too on my new SL.

171492795326. This eBay item looks right to me .... but what do I know?!

Maybe others here are going to get us properly informed.

Thanks, and I agree - the AMG's look great.
Time to go shopping!

Chris H 300SL said:
Thanks, and I agree - the AMG's look great. Time to go shopping!

I have the Aero II wheels on my S124 wagon. I'm weighing up the idea of something different for the SL just for the sake of variety...

BTB 500 said:

Thanks Bill

I've had a look but don't know which ones were MB original options... I want to keep something on the car that was a period MB offering really.

It seems I have 17" Sador wheels... Judging by the link...

I wouldn't mind 18" and wider at the back...

Hmmmmmm

they are my 3-piece amg splits in the ebay ad btb500 posted. very nice rims but hard to keep on top of cleaning wise!! still the nicest tim made for a r129.
the 18" amg splits btb500 are much better suited to the facelift r129's infact they are the best period upgrade for them, really suit the car. hold great value and fetch 1000-1500 depending on condition, beware of fakes all genuine ones have amg stamped on the face and specific part numbers on the inner rim, this:
fronts:
hwa 129 400 1502 8.5j x 18 et 25 bbs Germany amg
rears:
hwa 129 400 1702 10j x 18 et 25 bbs Germany amg
(this is my inner rim geek knowledge)

Thanks Bill

I've had a look but don't know which ones were MB original options... I want to keep something on the car that was a period MB offering really.

It seems I have 17" Sador wheels... Judging by the link...

I wouldn't mind 18" and wider at the back...

Hmmmmmm

Yours is a '99?

I think the only other factory option at the time would have been the staggered 18" 2-piece AMG Is that I have. 8.5" wide at the front and 10" at the rear. I'm obviously biased but agree with Mabz that they really suit the car. But ... not cheap, and not that easy to find now.

BTB 500 said:
Yours is a '99? I think the only other factory option at the time would have been the staggered 18" 2-piece AMG Is that I have. 8.5" wide at the front and 10" at the rear. I'm obviously biased but agree with Mabz that they really suit the car. But ... not cheap, and not that easy to find now.

But right...

Start plotting some further investment.

If you factor in selling your current wheels it doesn't make it seem so bad. That's what I did, anyway :D

BTB 500 said:
If you factor in selling your current wheels it doesn't make it seem so bad. That's what I did, anyway :D

How much for the Sadors do you think... With tyres...

No idea, sorry! Have a search on eBay ... you can see a 'retail' price on Alloywheelsdirect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom