1993 400SEL ignition switch diagram needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ClarenceBJack

Car
1993 400SEL
After seeing all the headaches involved in repairing a broken ign lock and switch, I am just about to hack the harness plug and install a custom switch and button. Doing away with all the lockout BS. Its 14 pins? The car is stuck. Im ready to start dismantling all the panels and dash. 91-93 models have the WORST one out there.
[email protected]

Hi thanks for your link. I just bought a 1993 400SEL with a bad keyswitch...and finding out whats involved in the repair, Im considering hacking the 14 pin harness and installing a simple toggle and button. I am assuming I can just disable the steering and shifter lockouts somehow. Wow these mechanisms are complicated. I have been researching it and I understand it all. I know to do it the "right way" the various parts have to go in a particular order or the steering locks out. Thoughts?

The pin codes are S2, S1, 15C, 15X, 15R, 30, 15Z and on the opposing side S2, S1, 30, 50, 15P, P, 30Z
What goes where? The violet wire is the starter lockout circuit...
Im afraid of shorting out something by just applying power randomly until I get 1: acc. (dashlights) 2: starter
The cars key turns to position one but the only light that comes on is the SRS, (no dashlights) when turned far right nothing happens and there is no spring recoil.
The cylinder is shot and so is the electrical part of the switch, apparently. The key also was stuck in but I managed to free it, barely.
(my first MB) Im a decent mechanic tho.
Thanks again.

IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE 7 WIRE VIDEO AND THE POWER DIAGRAM [ WIRING COLOURS MAY BE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT] ---THERE MAY ALSO BE MORE PINS
THE IGNITION SWITCH HAS 4 POSITIONS OFF/ACCESSORY/RUN/START
WHILE" POWER IN" IS ALWAYS THERE THE DIAGRAM SHOWS WHICH OUTPUT PINS SUPPLY POWER AT EACH POSITION OF THE SWITCH - NOTE THEY MAY SUPPLY POWER AT MORE THAN ONE POSITION [ LINKED IN DIAGRAM]

THE FOLLOWING GUESTIMATE

2 RED POWER WIRES IN 30,30 [LIVE FEED] PINS 3,10
RED YELLOW WIRE 15X FUSEBOX FRONT [ RUN] PIN7
RED BLACK WIRE 15 FUSEBOX FRONT [RUN +START ] PIN 6
GREEN WHITE WIRE P30 LIGHTS [ ACCESSORY] PIN 4
RED GREEN WIRE 15R FUSEBOX REAR [ACCESSORY+RUN+ START] PIN 5
PURPLE WHITE 50 [ START] PIN 8

THINK I GOT THAT RIGHT?? YOU WILL GET THE OTHER PIN 15Z 15C ETC OUTPUTS WRT SWITCH POSITION FROM THE DIAGRAM
TO CHECK THESE OUT PROPERLY YOU NEED AN OPERATIONAL SWITCH AND DVM

Ok I have what I need. I have a key that works mechanically but the elec switches are fried. Any danger of triggering the immobilizer/ antitheft system?
I am planning on putting two jumper wires into the female harness plug and then one to kick on the starter. Its pink/green to red, pink/green/blk to red, and violet to red for the starter. Pin 30z is unused, if it has power then I will use it for the starter.
I have the barrel and switch on order and now know how to do it right. See "hotwire W140 on benzworld.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom