1993/L 280TE Auto (one of the last W124's) - I'm selling imminently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inder

After much umming and ahh-ing I've decided that it would be an idea to sell my 280TE. I've had the car for a year now and just don't use it enough. In the time I've had it it's covered about 1500 miles in about a year. It was bought as a runabout for trips to the shops and dump only. The reason for the low mileage is that it is a 3rd car.

The salient details:

• 1993/L 280TE Auto - 5 seat version
  • Grey cloth interior, electric windows and sunroof. Rear loadcover and dog guard.
  • Approaching 121k miles.
  • I am the 3rd owner - first owner BDO Binder Hamlyn (accountants), second owner was a disabled man who I contacted and who confirmed that the head gasket had been done.
  • Metallic light blue (Pearl Blue) with chrome wheelarches.
  • Merc 16" Alloy wheels
  • Service history up to date - includes 20 stamps in book (16 main dealer).
  • Spare set of keys.
  • Panasonic CD player with removable fascia and Blaupunkt speakers.
  • 4 x Michelin Pilots fitted by me a few days after I bought it at 119, 475 miles.
  • Wheel alignment was done straight after this.

Please note - No air-con, no leather and 5 seats, not 7.

Work done by Ian Walker of W124 Works from this forum in the last year includes:

Auto transmission fluid/filter change.
Steering/suspension bushes renewed.
Spark Plugs.
Central Locking on fuel filler cap.
'A' Service (Jan 07) including new rubber boot seal and new brake pads (just being bedded in currently).
He has also Mot'd the car for 12 months (exp Jan 08).

The good news is:
The car is in superb condition for the year. (There are a few small stone chips and a short scratch about an inch long on the front passenger door).
Ian has just checked for oil leaks and confirms there are none. It drives straight and the engine has plenty of power. It also idles steady when hot and the gearchange is smooth. He has confirmed that the oil pressure is excellent.

The bad news is:
The indicator stalk doesn't self cancel all the time.
At some point in the next 18 months the wiring loom will need to be looked at.
Small dent about the size of a 5p piece on the RHS of the bootlid.
The boot carpet has wear marks on the LHS wheel arch cover (already there when I bought it).

For an independent review of this car please feel free to contact Ian at 124 Works who will be able to give you a technical/mechanics opinion.

I am looking to sell at £2100 - this is not the cheapest price you will see for a W124 estate but it genuinely reflects how well it's been looked after. If you're after one of these you'll know how rare good examples are.

Ian suggested offering it to a forum enthusiast here first before going to Autotrader - if you're interested please let me know. I am located near Blackpool. :)

Pics here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26121

Now sold back to the bloke (dealer) I bought it off who was extremely keen to get it back so it worked well for both of us.

Thanks for all the work you did on it Ian - shame it had to go but hopefully someone else will make better use of it. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom