1993 R129 SL 500 Limp Home Mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JCW1

Car
MB 500SL
I have the dreaded ASR Light, car goes into LHM issue at the moment. I have researched the mountain of information and conjecture available on the web, related to this problem but at the moment I have a simple query.

Does driving the car for an extended period in LHM actually do any damage to anything?

The reason I ask is that I suspect the problem might be related to lack of use....I haven't used the car for 6 months so I'd like to drive it a bit to see if the fault clears itself but not if doing this would cause expensive damage.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

Does limp mode not limit the car to 30 mph ?

Could get pretty boring

Thanks for responding.

It doesn't appear to on mine, I just have the extended travel in the accelerator pedal before anything happens. Having said that, I have only driven it to work, then to the MOT station and back home. Maybe 40 miles on roads with a 40mph limit so not the same as being on the motorway.

The ASR light came on after about 5 miles on the drive to work. The same on the drive from work to the MOT but after about 10 miles on the drive back.

if u the car is below 1/4 full in the tank it does happen, sometimes if u fill up the car, and wait a while an restart, otherwise u can clear the error if it is that, the other the battery charge is not full

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

I've not heard the one about the fuel level before but my tank is about half full. I guess I'm just going to drive the car and if the fault persists, get the codes read.

Does limp mode not limit the car to 30 mph ?

Could get pretty boring

With my C270 , which had been in LHM for the past week or so , it only restricted the available power and revs to about 3000 .

I was still able to drive at normal speeds though .

If ASR light is on and it goes to LMH it is not lack of use . You should have fault codes read , clear them and see what comes back . As you have probably gathered by searching on the Internet, it could be loads of different possibilities .

Thanks Pontoneer, you have come closest to answering my original question. I infer from your answer that prolonged driving in LHM doesn't do any any damage.

Bing, thanks for your comment and yes, I realise that getting the codes read is the best option, it's just that I don't have the time to organise getting to a Dealer/Indy at the moment. I had the same problem with the ASR a couple of years ago but it 'went away' for 4000 trouble free miles, hence the thought that it might be lack of use.

Thanks Buster

I'm not familiar with them but they are only 8 miles from where I work so reasonably handy if I can arrange a visit one lunch time. I will give them a call.

Time for engine wiring harness replacement.

Thanks for posting.............

.......but I didn't ask 'can anybody suggest reasons why my ASR light comes on'?

The crumbly wiring loom thing is certainly the cause of many issues on 1993 cars but you are assuming that mine hasn't been changed already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom