1993 "VERY RARE" MERCEDES W124 E500 (Another one)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They're getting to that age now - young ones are 18 years old and are likely to be money pits.

Still like one - but the good low mileage ones will now become more valuable, the rough ones will go the way of 560SEC's and become too much to repair/run.

How did this person find out that I love to squint when looking at pictures!

I cannot think what would make a 500e a moneypit....the M119 engine is as robust as they come, the body on the 500e is solid - it's a supreme car and no matter how many might be on sale at any one time, fact is it's a rare car...only 10,000 made worldwide, only 29 ever sold in UK dealerships.

I now have three 500e's, between them they cost a fraction of the upkeep or repairs relative to most modern E and S-class horror stories i hear off ! None of the 3 cost me more than 6k gbp to purchase.

thanks
talbir

Here comes Talbir,as soon as a 500e is mentioned.What did you buy that???Please tell us

I cannot think what would make a 500e a moneypit....the M119 engine is as robust as they come, the body on the 500e is solid - it's a supreme car and no matter how many might be on sale at any one time, fact is it's a rare car...only 10,000 made worldwide, only 29 ever sold in UK dealerships.

I now have three 500e's, between them they cost a fraction of the upkeep or repairs relative to most modern E and S-class horror stories i hear off ! None of the 3 cost me more than 6k gbp to purchase.

thanks
talbir

Comparing daily driven commuter vehicles that run 12K to 20k a year, are parked outside and service in a dealership with some garage queens that might see daylight once every 8 weeks from their bubble.

It's no surprise there are little maintainance costs - by definition, if something is not used, there is very little to look after QED.

Comparing daily driven commuter vehicles that run 12K to 20k a year, are parked outside and service in a dealership with some garage queens that might see daylight once every 8 weeks from their bubble.

It's no surprise there are little maintainance costs - by definition, if something is not used, there is very little to look after QED.

I sense the calm before the storm :D

Is there a premium on uk models vs imports as I know where one of the first 500e into the uk is for sale soon

I sense the calm before the storm :D

Well, lets be honest. If you have 15 vehicles and (I assume) rotate them so they all get some use at one time or another.

Even doing 30,000 miles a year will only put 2000 miles on each car per annum. If you're getting any form of failure or serious maintainance you've got a bit of a dog.

It's not a reasonable comparison to doing, say, 30,000 miles in one car in a year is it?

My initial comment is an 18 year old car with high mileage, a powerful v8 engine and multiple enthusiastic owners has a more than even money chance of being a money pit.

That's a sensible and reasonable assumption.

Is there a premium on uk models vs imports as I know where one of the first 500e into the uk is for sale soon

Please let me/us know when this is on the market!

About two months back....currently being shipped across from US...lovely color combo, cannot wait to get the new mistress home !

Thanks
Talbir

Here comes Talbir,as soon as a 500e is mentioned.What did you buy that???Please tell us

Looking forward to the pictures of your new mistress Talbir,knowing you she must be a beauty

only if the buyer(s) want a UK spec car, the original spec being different from non-uk 500e's in that the fenders have factory cut-out holes for the side repeaters required by UK law on all cars post April 86, and an MPH speedometer. Both these items cost mega bucks from MB parts and are not available from after-market parts suppliers.

other than that there is no difference, except UK ones generally are well less specc'd than European counterparts.

Biggest premium on 500e's is on

1/ AMG variant E500's known as E60
2/ Limited edition models known as E500 Limited
3/ above two combined in the form of an E60 Limited
4/ Black-on-black, i.e. factory color code 040 (solid black) paintwork cars with black leather interior due to rarity

thanks
talbir

There was a thread some where asking what would you buy if You had 10K to spend.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom