1994 C280 Elegance UK Model Spec?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

New2Mercs

Car
C280 Elegance 1994
As you can see by my username I'm new to the Mercedes scene and would really appreciate some information on the specification of a C280 that I'm in the process of buying.
It's a May ' 94 L reg C280 Elegance Auto and I'm trying to find out what extra-cost options were ordered on the car when new.
The spec is as follows;
Metallic silver paint.
Navy leather interior.
Aircon.
Rear headrests.
Alloy wheels
Electric windows x 4 /Electric sunroof/Mirrors

From what I've read in the various car price guides I suspect that the leather,aircon and rear headrests are the main extras.
The guides imply however that only the Sport models had alloys as standard.
I did view an M reg C280 Elegance and that had identical alloys to the one that I'm now buying, so were alloys standard or just a common option?

Is it possible to discover from Mercedes the specification listing if you supply them with the VIN number?
I know that if you provide a BMW dealer with your cars' VIN number they can print out the date of first registration in the UK, supplying dealer name and a complete listing of all options fitted at the factory.

Sorry to sound like an anorak but any info would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

;)

My 95 (M-reg) C-180 Elegance came with MB hub-caps, so I guess alloys were an option, and it doesnt have air-con

Originally posted by KillerHERTZ
My 95 (M-reg) C-180 Elegance came with MB hub-caps, so I guess alloys were an option, and it doesnt have air-con
Thanks for that bit of info!;)

Nobody else out there able to give me the run down on this cars' spec??:confused:

Hi Paul,

A dealer should be able to give you a list of the fitted options if you can provide them with the VIN. Another way to check is if you can still get hold of the service book on the car. In the back is slip of paper that gives the VIN the engine block serial number and down the bottom should be a list of 3 digit numbers, these numbers refer to the optional extras as fitted at the factory. There is a page on the forums here that translates alot of the codes.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/codes.htm

Hope this helps

S.

Thanks for that Steve, when I pick the car up I shall certainly go through the service book to discover what options the car was fitted with!
I'm still left with the problem though of finding out what the standard UK spec for a C280 Elegance was!I just wanted to know what extra equipment Mercedes fitted to justify its new price being £7k more than the C180 Elegance of the time!
Looks like I'll have to try and find a 1994 C- Class brochure to find out.......

;)

That might be your best bet, or one of the other forum members might know what came as standard in the '94 Elegance trim level. I'm afaraid I don't know that one specifically.

S.

Originally posted by New2Mercs
As you can see by my username I'm new to the Mercedes scene and would really appreciate some information on the specification of a C280 that I'm in the process of buying.
It's a May ' 94 L reg C280 Elegance Auto and I'm trying to find out what extra-cost options were ordered on the car when new.
The spec is as follows;
;)

Metallic silver paint. ( option) £600 ish
Navy leather interior. ( option ) £1749 ish
Aircon. ( option ) £1995 ish
Rear headrests. ( option) £ 400 ish i think
Alloy wheels (option) £ 800 wouldnt surprise me
Electric windows x 4 ( i think the rear ones were an option) £200ish
Electric sunroof (option) £ 995ish
Mirrors (standard)

So , quite a lot . Auto would also ahve been an option on the C280 at that point too. The was runnign in about £1149 i think as it was the 4speed.

Re: Re: 1994 C280 Elegance UK Model Spec?

Originally posted by fuzzer
Metallic silver paint. ( option) £600 ish
Navy leather interior. ( option ) £1749 ish
Aircon. ( option ) £1995 ish
Rear headrests. ( option) £ 400 ish i think
Alloy wheels (option) £ 800 wouldnt surprise me
Electric windows x 4 ( i think the rear ones were an option) £200ish
Electric sunroof (option) £ 995ish
Mirrors (standard)

So , quite a lot . Auto would also ahve been an option on the C280 at that point too. The was runnign in about £1149 i think as it was the 4speed.

Wow!Somebody must have felt flush when they ordered my C280!
Thanks for the info Jason!

Cheers,
Paul

;)

Re: Re: Re: 1994 C280 Elegance UK Model Spec?

Thanks for the info Jason!

Cheers,
Paul

;)

Yes , the options list runs away with itself a little if you let it.

Let us know what you do

Re: Re: Re: 1994 C280 Elegance UK Model Spec?

Back in the good ol' days of pre-facelift, pre-takeover mercedes, a car was tailored to the requirements of the customer. If you wanted to have alloy wheels, you didn't have to get the "special" suspension too. If you wanted heated seats you didn't have to get leather. Back then buying a car was like having a suit of clothes measured up for you. When the car arrived it was finished to meet your requirements, the only buttons on view were ones for the options you had specified. If you ordered a brand new car and forgot to check the options list you very nearly got nothing! A C280 Elegance from 1994 (second year of production/availabilty) would have come with practically nothing as "standard". The "Elegance" spec may simply mean that some items were already ticked on the options list :) . It sounds like your car is well equipped, this is thanks to the first owner who not only chose one of the best engines for the car but also the best-equipped trim level and some of the tastiest options!

These days new cars come with "packs" of options for mass-production purposes and have lots of nasty button-blanks on the dashboard to remind you what options you didn't request! Much better off with an old-school w202 C280! *sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom