1994 E320 W124 estate auto gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyhtb

Car
W124 E320 ESTATE
Hi all,

I have a problem with my gear box, noticed it seemed to "slip" between 2000-3000rpm so stopped of and got some transmission oil. Checked on the dip stick at the rear and yes it was low. Topped it up and now it wont engage in any gear any ideas?

did you check the fluid when the engine was running and at operating temp?

Was at operating temperature but was not running, have I overfilled the transmission? Would this cause it not to engage?

You have to follow the gearbox filling instructions in the owners handbook exactly. = car level- engine running !! cycle the selector through all positions to fill all the control galleries with fluid then measure with selctor in park + the fluid has to measured either cold= lower marks on dipstick-- or ---at operating temp---upper marks on dipstick usually marked on dipstick with the temperatures

Last edited:
Act in haste repent at leisure!! OK well thanks for that, what advice would you give me now? Start the car and allow to get to 80c and then check again?

Started the car just now and if you wait 30 seconds or so it will move, however I don't want to make what could be a stupid error a major headache!

You should be able to check the level when cold [ if there are 30C marks on the dipstick?] to get a good idea. Go thro the same procedure but don't wait for the fluid to heat up. If you overfill the box the internal movement of gears tends "whip up" the fluid causing air entrainment- this ironically gives rise to a "fluid starvation "situation which can damage the box. There is normally a small drain plug somewhere on the gearbox sump or you could suck out some fluid thro the dipstick hole with a vacuum pump like a Pela or similar. As with all autobox fluid operations you must observe scrupulously clean conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom