1994 R129 - underbonnet mat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Good evening all. I'll shortly be fitting a new OE underbonnet insulating mat to my 1994 SL500. Has anyone else done this? If so, Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Specific question: will two 500 ml aerosols of spray trim adhesive be sufficient? (I'm fitting the clips as well, of course).

E55BOF said:
Good evening all. I'll shortly be fitting a new OE underbonnet insulating mat to my 1994 SL500. Has anyone else done this? If so, Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. Specific question: will two 500 ml aerosols of spray trim adhesive be sufficient? (I'm fitting the clips as well, of course).

Did it on my 124. MB sell the correct glue. It has a temp/fire rating.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Thanks Bruce. I'm looking to use spray-on, though, not brush-on. There are plenty of high-temp (120 deg C) spray-on trim adhesives around, and judging by the US prices, the OE MB stuff is very pricey for what is basically glorified Evo-Stik anyway.

I bought mine from a member in here who sold me the mat with the glue ;^)

I dry fitted it a couple of times to get my bearings then went for it. I used the front lip as my reference at both front corners. It sticks like sh!t

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Thank you for the tip on fitting.

I'm getting my mat from Germany; 91 Euros all-in, including the trim clips but not the adhesive, from a German company's German-language ad; their English-language price for the same is about £4.50 more expensive. On the other hand, I could buy it for £130, without the clips, from the SL Shop. They will also sell the clips for £12.50, and a high-temp adhesive (90 degrees) for £16.95; the same, but 120 degrees, is available for a third the price on eBay.

Somebody's getting ripped off, but not I...

Last edited:
Thank you for the tip on fitting.

I'm getting my mat from Germany; 91 Euros all-in, including the trim clips but not the adhesive, from a German company's German-language ad; their English-language price for the same is about £4.50 more expensive. On the other hand, I could buy it for £130, without the clips, from the SL Shop. They will also sell the clips for £12.50, and a high-temp adhesive (90 degrees) for £16.95; the same, but 120 degrees, is available for a third the price on eBay.

Somebody's getting ripped off, but not I...

Do you have a link?

I thought it was £106 from the SL Shop?

At £130 it's more expensive than from MB themselves.

It's £130 on eBay, which is where I saw it. £117.95 + £12.95 delivery. Even at £106, plus £12.50 for the clips and £16.95 for the adhesive, even if delivery is free (I haven't looked) it's still no bargain...

Do you have a link?

Dammit, I can't seem to get anything this website will accept. I guess I've forgotten how...

It's: Mercedes-Benz Motorhaubendämmmatte Motorhaubendämmung Dämmmatte Hood Pad R129 SL

The seller is carloxx24

If I had to do this again. I would get somebody to help me. Not my Mrs M as she gets easily distracted. The glue is instant. One touch and your are stuck. If not spot on with alignment it could be costly. I would suggest using making tape on the insulation and a corresponding piece on the bonnet. Then with one person each side you can line it up and place it on in one go.

Another method I have seen is to clip the mat in place, raise the bonnet to vertical and pull the mat away from the bonnet.

Apply glue, wait for it to set then smooth it down with the aid of gravity.

I'm running without one @ the moment (SL320) The old one was falling off, crumbly and dusty. It just needs a thorough clean to get rid of the icky glue residue.

I can't say I've noticed any difference since I removed it, has anyone else?

With a V8 cooking away underneath, you get "steam" coming off the bonnet when it rains and 2 dry patches, which does tend to leave water marks.

I'm running without one @ the moment (SL320) The old one was falling off, crumbly and dusty. It just needs a thorough clean to get rid of the icky glue residue.

I can't say I've noticed any difference since I removed it, has anyone else?

My old one was crumbly and dusty too, so I pulled nearly all of it off before removing the MAF sensor and TB; I didn't want any stray bits falling into the plenum chamber. The glue patches left behind look for all the world like EvoStik, and are equally reluctant to come off; the bonnet underside was far from covered with adhesive when the mat was fitted.

When I fit the new one, I'm not going to worry about removing all the old glue, just get rid of the rest of the old mat and give it all a good scrape with a plastic scraper; if the old glue is still holding firm, the new will certainly stick to it.

Nah, I'm an engineer. I'll just drill some holes and use bolts and nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom