1994 SL500 idle issue hot only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check for moisture behind the insulator bowls which sit behind the rotor arms and brackets. Found loads back there on my car and had very little trouble since I dried it out.

Thank you ... Will keep an eye out for that. The first one I did tonight and it seemed dry. There was some strange powder in there though.

One question I have ( and not googled it yet) is how tight do I make the screws when re attaching the distributor caps?

They seem to be pretty tight but still keep going!

You must renew the backing plates and o rings otherwise the problem will just keep coming back!!!! Also check the camshaft front oil seals aren't leaking oil!

You must renew the backing plates and o rings otherwise the problem will just keep coming back!!!! Also check the camshaft front oil seals aren't leaking oil!

I didn't know .. Thanks for letting me know.
Guessing its mercedes only for the parts? Live miles from my dealer ..

You can try any good motor factors, but always compare with mb! You might be surprised, as they are usually pounds and pence for parts like this

I didn't know .. Thanks for letting me know.
Guessing its mercedes only for the parts? Live miles from my dealer ..

If you can get the part numbers you can always order online - no need to drive miles and spend your time running around.

I had a battery delivered for about a fiver so small parts like that should be no problem :)

You can try any good motor factors, but always compare with mb! You might be surprised, as they are usually pounds and pence for parts like this

Will have a sniff around but do prefer genuine parts or at least German made.

Issue is driving an hour and half round trip to buy and then pick up the parts. They really need a genuine part online ordering system. Don't like giving out my card number over the phone ... Paranoid I know

If you can get the part numbers you can always order online - no need to drive miles and spend your time running around.

I had a battery delivered for about a fiver so small parts like that should be no problem :)

Where do you order online or do you mean non genuine parts?

Happy to pay delivery. 3 hours saved is valuable to me

You should be able to get an extra 5 or 10% discount with one of the owners club codes too :)

I have tried them but often the part numbers don't come up. Will give them a go again though. Thanks!

Could always email them with your VIN and ask for the parts you need directly. Sometimes part numbers don't come up online for various reasons, often they are superceded a few times over the years etc.

They're a proper MB dealer with the genuine EPC etc so should be able to locate the bits you need :)

Thanks, will get them ordered in the morning. Much appreciated... be nice to do a proper job.

The tightness is worrying me still ... Don't want to crack the new caps.

Off subject ... Some of the screws were missing from the new rotor arms. Euro car parts couldn't care less. Having to reuse two old ones. (Which were rusty)

What size are they - dia/length etc? If they're the same as M102 ones I might have a couple you could use. Maybe post a pic if possible :)

They won't need much tightening at all - just nipped up gently so they don't rattle off. You obviously don't want to distort/crack the plastic at all.

Maybe clean the old screws carefully with a wire brush, a drop of oil on the threads and wind them in/out a couple of times with the caps not fitted to clean the threads up.

Pity ECP won't help with the missing screws - I think they still post on here so perhaps ask one of them to help directly if they're avoiding sorting it out for you otherwise. There's a thread on here - you could PM them I guess.

Also might be worth seeing how much they are for spark plugs. At least you'll get the correct ones from them and in my experience MB aren't too bad price wise on basic plugs like this. Better than the resistor type wrongly supplied by many parts retailers nowadays.

Thanks you ... Will pull one off ASAP and have a measure. It is thundering like a good un at the moment! It might be quicker for me to order from Merc though. I suspect I couldn't look at it until the weekend now.

Agree will do that on the screws ... The boxes were all split so must have fell off / out before they even boxed the order up.
Two hours they kept me waiting online so gave up in the end. Even though one was complete and the other was missing screws they wouldn't give any support. Very strange but will survive ... Irritating though.

Also might be worth seeing how much they are for spark plugs. At least you'll get the correct ones from them and in my experience MB aren't too bad price wise on basic plugs like this. Better than the resistor type wrongly supplied by many parts retailers nowadays.

Good idea. It's strange Bosch are selling the resistor type as the right plugs?

Oddly their website parts finder was faulty when I checked ... The PDF download only has motorbike plugs even though the front cover is for cars..

Insulator backplates (sit behind the rotor arm) are NLA from Mercedes when I asked last year. Bosch will still supply though, Part# 1-230-500-240

MB should have correct plugs, the ones I bought a couple of months back were no more expensive than the usual suspects.

Did you change the rotor arms too? These are a must?!

Thanks ... I did order rotor arms but ECP supplied one without screws. Another on its way but also waiting to get the backing plates to finish the job. £55 each was best price I could find on the plates.

Had no time today to order parts unfortunately but will get everything in. Can't wait to see how she runs.

I did put the S500 through an MOT today and got a pass :bannana:

Insulators come with the rubber seals and are damn expensive! 3years ago when still available at MB they were at £77 , so £55 is a good price . Are they Bosch ?

1191580188.jpg

attachment.php

Item that's almost overlook. And here's an article about it:http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/M119/ignition_misfiring_STAR.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom