1994 W124 e280 coolant change caused poor running....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbieesprit

Car
e320 estate
Hi All
I have had to retire my e320 due to cylinder head gasket issue (got it to 247K miles), so bought a e280 to replace.
This replacement e280, was running just fine, but its coolant was basically rusty water...time for a change before winter...
So disconnected bottom rad hose, applied some air to header tank to blow out the rad....and in my rush forgot to cover the bottom rad pipe with a cover...
result...rusty water blown up to u/s of intake/ throttle body area....

At first, idle was rough and surging, and stalled...so after bit of forum scanning...I cleaned the throttle body (TB) and the air ducting that runs across the engine, (it was pretty mucky)

result? Started better, but on warm up, idle rev increased to about 1400 rpm. But is now steady at 1400. The drive is very poor. lack of power and rough (sound and feel).

Also, i noticed that there was a lot of clicking, coming from the throttle body area prior to the clean out....

So am thinking replace TB? maybe wiring + addition of water an issue? any other advice? is there any recommended companies to repair the TB?

Cheers Rob.

I have ordered a replacement used TB, It is just possible to see the VDO and merc part numbers through the top of the inlet area...
Hopefully this will reduce time car is off the road, and am hoping swap over if it isnt too complicated? Is there any ting else worth attending to? are the throttle linkages hardy? maybe clean and grease?

Lube the linkages and check the return spring is still there and intact. Careful with the two short black hoses as they can tear and are not cheap. While you're waiting for the throttle body, try squirting the wiring with some WD40 just to prove the fault.

Right ok, thanks..
the black hose you mention, if they do break are they special shape, so have to be MB order? or can they be made up of vacuuum hose?
The clicking has settled down since (was like moss code) i cleaned the air ducts and the throttle body, but clearly something is not right, but will try the WD trick....and do the linkage check and lube....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok Update to issues above

Engine had head gasket issue and engine wiring loom issue. The poor running was almost certainly the head gasket.
So bit the bullet and got it done, the car is otherwise sound with very little rust.
At the same time I upgraded the after market air con set up at the front (condenser and fans) to the factory,
Back on the road but not great fuel economy...see new thread....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom