1995 E420, Blown Head Gasket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XanderLorenzo

Car
Benz
I just blew a head gasket on my 1995 black on black E420 w/ 72,XXX miles and am trying to figure out what to do with it now. It's otherwise in good shape (at least 8.5/10 interior and exterior) and I loved driving the car. Bought it for 6.5k in 2013 and put some 17'' AMG monoblocks on it and figured I'd have fun with it and maybe it would appreciate in value. I love the boxy, angular design and smooth V8 power. I'm finishing medical school so don't really have the $$ or time to track down and replace the M119 engine. I've gotten estimates anywhere from 3-4k to replace the engine. Rebuilding the engine seems more expensive (~8k?). Wire harness had been replaced but in all honesty minor repairs (e.g., water pump) were frustratingly expensive while it was running. I begrudgingly called a salvage yard yesterday and got an offer for $275 (cringe) and now have an offer from a local mechanic for $575.

That 119 engine is usually very reliable. Never have I seen one have a head gasket issue. Are you sure?

I just blew a head gasket on my 1995 black on black E420 w/ 72,XXX miles and am trying to figure out what to do with it now. It's otherwise in good shape (at least 8.5/10 interior and exterior) and I loved driving the car. Bought it for 6.5k in 2013 and put some 17'' AMG monoblocks on it and figured I'd have fun with it and maybe it would appreciate in value. I love the boxy, angular design and smooth V8 powersolitaire.onl/ 9apps.ooo/ . I'm finishing medical school so don't really have the $$ or time to track down and replace the M119 engine. I've gotten estimates anywhere from 3-4k to replace the engine. Rebuilding the engine seems more expensive (~8k?). Wire harness had been replaced but in all honesty minor repairs (e.g., water pump) were frustratingly expensive while it was running. I begrudgingly called a salvage yard yesterday and got an offer for $275 (cringe) and now have an offer from a local mechanic for $575.

That 119 engine is usually very reliable. Never have I seen one have a head gasket issue. Are you sure?

Your post header states Solved??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom