1995 S500 coupe - tempted/things to look out for/ask?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisCLS55

Car
Mercedes E63
I’m tempted by the following car 1995 Mercedes-Benz S500 Coupe

Has anyone dealt with the dealer before and is these kind of prices about right? I know next to nothing about them and although it’s s bit of an ugly duckling I do like the design myself and I want to scratch the old S class itch on a car that’s decent, usable as a regular drive if need be and something I can put a bit of my own stamp on if need be.

What should I be looking out for, known problems etc and is this a decent example? They seek very rare.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

I have bought 2 cars from Edward Hall and sold one through him and couldn't recommend him enough.

Buying from him, there isn't much to look out for on that as it will be a decent car. What to look for really is the same as applied to all models - does everything work, is it rusty? Time to go test drive

I have bought 2 cars from Edward Hall and sold one through him and couldn't recommend him enough.

Buying from him, there isn't much to look out for on that as it will be a decent car. What to look for really is the same as applied to all models - does everything work, is it rusty? Time to go test drive

Thanks for your reply, encouraging indeed. I’ve got a great Indy close to me so mechanically future issues when they crop up are not a problem, it’s buying something littered with problems already that concern me. It does look a very well presented car and I’m massively tempted.

It does look a very well presented car and I’m massively tempted.

That does look proper nice ... the business!

Nice looking car. Don’t think I’ve seen one in black.

Not a massive fan of the rear spoiler.

Looks rather reminiscent of the Rover 800/Honda Legend coupe crossed with an R129 front end, and none the worse for that. It's had the engine wiring loom replaced, which is good. As you say, not many are around now. I presume it has the bombproof M113/722.6 power train, but what is parts availability like, I wonder, if something specific to type is needed? Mind you, it shouldn't be rusty, and most non-body parts will be shared with the saloon anyway.

If I wanted one, I'd go for it.

Thanks for your reply, encouraging indeed. I’ve got a great Indy close to me so mechanically future issues when they crop up are not a problem, it’s buying something littered with problems already that concern me. It does look a very well presented car and I’m massively tempted.
Can your Indy give it an examination?

Can your Indy give it an examination?

Unlikely given the distance, I’m based in Newcastle. I’m going to view it on Saturday, Ed Hall has been most helpful and very communicative in all my correspondence, he’s also willing to negotiate the price down a little by a few hundred. If all goes well, I could be cruising home on Sunday with it. I’m not looking for a garage Queen, just a well looked after, mechanically sounds, drivable modern classic I can take out more than just once a month. Finding a parking space and some cover will be an issue long term, but I’ll worry about that another time ha ha. It’s either scratch this itch or go daft and replace the 2014 E63 with an S63 which is, as far as AMGs and Mercedes tech and luxury goes, the ultimate big saloon car for me.

I’ve got until Saturday to do my research, price wise, it’s hard to fathom whether it’s a good price or a bad price or the right price given there doesn’t seem to be many available or many that get sold.

Price has never been a huge factor for me with older cars anyway, it’s worth what it will be worth to me.

I too am not keen in the spoiler, but I somehow don’t like my coupes without one, the CLS 55’s spoiler was perfect, elegant, stylish and fitted perfectly. If I can replace the spoiler for a more discreet, stylish and less protruding after market bolt on look like the current one screams to me, I will.

I like a lower more aggressive front spoiler underneath my bumpers too and the wheels although nice, are not my cup of tea.

I’m hoping the V8’s noise is very oldskool.

I’ll keep everyone updated, wish me luck.

My 26 year old nephew will be coming with me and driving the E63 back if I get it, he’s more excited than a kid at Christmas as he loves his cars and he’s one of a select few I trust with the E63, we plan to stay over and have a bit of a manly bonding time, again if it get it. He has had a bit of bad news lately and could do with some time out and some unadulterated car fun.

The wife won’t be too pleased to see a new car outside when she comes back from visiting her family over in Africa, but can say I could have been a naughty boy and got an S63. Nah she knows I love my cars and she’ll be OK.

Next up if I do get it, a road trip through Europe in it or as originally planned, do it in the E63.

I presume it has the bombproof M113/722.6 power train

A few years too early. It's M119 and a 722.3.

It's also missing the distributor covers. They're not expensive, for top money (and this surely is) you'd expect them to be there. Unfortunately it's not the first time I've seen this on Ed Hall's cars either, there was a 129 at very steep money last year that was missing the grille from one of the wing vents.

I like a lower more aggressive front spoiler underneath my bumpers too and the wheels although nice, are not my cup of tea.

There are a couple of pairs of the W140-specific AMG split rims around on the Bay of e.

I’m hoping the V8’s noise is very oldskool.

You may be disappointed, especially given your current yardstick. The standard exhaust is heavily silenced, and even with centre box removed it's still far from raucous.

Last edited:
I had an R129 (same engine/box), with the entire exhaust, cat-back, replaced with a y-pipe system and a single 'sports' silencer of unknown provenance (for the R129) that I bought from another forum member. It sounded glorious; very oldskool V8 boom.

I'd bet the Lorinser exhaust on the car is louder than stock, though; oddly enough, expensive aftermarket exhausts nearly always are...

The only comment I’d make is that you yourself referred to it as an ugly duckling , and from the photo I share that feeling .

If you want an S Class coupe , dare I suggest a C126 SEC - to my own eyes a far better looking car , and having owned three W126 saloons , as well as my R129 , I’d have to say that any C/W126 is a much more sorted and reliable car than any 129/140 .

Also , don’t overlook that car’s successor .

If it's hard the wiring harness done, you should have a nice car. Engines are bomb proof. 96 and up got a more modern climate control unit, Coil packs, OBD2 and the 722.6 5 speed automatic but none of that is as important as condition

Engines are bomb proof

Not entirely... My R129 M119 self-destructed when the camchain tensioner let go at 140K miles. That car should be just fine with that mileage and service history, though.

I think that can be filed under "Wilful neglect by previous owner(s)"

Reactions: SG1
Not entirely... My R129 M119 self-destructed when the camchain tensioner let go at 140K miles. That car should be just fine with that mileage and service history, though.

I was always told that cam chain and guides should be inspected at around 100k on a m119 too

Odd, I owned an e420 from about 60k miles to 230k miles until it was destroyed when someone ran a red light. Never had an issue. I did do the chain and guides at around 100k miles.

The only thing I'm aware off is plastic oiler tubes that can fail, and can be replaced with metal ones.

Reactions: 219
I’ve just had an email saying it’s been sold. I’m disappointed I wasn’t given the option to secure the car at least or told there is someone else interested. I have made travel arrangements as well. Shoddy way to do business IMO, although I understand he has to make a living and can’t play two interested parties off together just for our sake and risk losing a sale. Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom