1995 S500 coupe - tempted/things to look out for/ask?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame it's sold. I know Edward well and would class him a friend..looked a nice car and very good value indeed.

There will be other examples out there though!

I’ve just had an email saying it’s been sold. I’m disappointed I wasn’t given the option to secure the car at least or told there is someone else interested. I have made travel arrangements as well. Shoddy way to do business IMO, although I understand he has to make a living and can’t play two interested parties off together just for our sake and risk losing a sale. Oh well...

Your lucky he bothered to tell you these days before you found out the hard way...

I had one for a few years back in the day. Pretty much the last of the truly over engineered MBs and ludicrously expensive at the time . God knows what they would be in todays money. Nothing much went wrong with mine although I had it from just 26k to 55k so hardly worn out. The slightly later face lift cars have better/proper climate control and a slightly more modern feeling interior otherwise they are the same. Its a big car to have black on black. Not sure I have ever seen one in that colour. Looks very nice though so if you want it.........

Sorry didnt read whole thread.... too late!

I wonder if the bonnet , grille and lights from a W140 saloon would fit ; to my mind would then look 'right' . Sort of like a bigger C124 .

2215834d1500474763-c140-w140-front-end-image37832.jpg

Perfect!
2217201d1500616907-c140-w140-front-end-yeahh.jpg

So much better imho

I’ve just had an email saying it’s been sold. I’m disappointed I wasn’t given the option to secure the car at least or told there is someone else interested. I have made travel arrangements as well. Shoddy way to do business IMO, although I understand he has to make a living and can’t play two interested parties off together just for our sake and risk losing a sale. Oh well...

Not shoddy at all, you snooze you lose, you spent in excess of 48 hours discussing it here, if that was me i would have been at the dealer the same/next day to secure it regardless of distance.

Reactions: 219
Not shoddy at all, you snooze you lose, you spent in excess of 48 hours discussing it here, if that was me i would have been at the dealer the same/next day to secure it regardless of distance.
If you're that keen , it can be worth leaving evan a £100 deposit to hold the car until you see it , even if it means losing that if you decide against .

The only comment I’d make is that you yourself referred to it as an ugly duckling , and from the photo I share that feeling .

If you want an S Class coupe , dare I suggest a C126 SEC - to my own eyes a far better looking car , and having owned three W126 saloons , as well as my R129 , I’d have to say that any C/W126 is a much more sorted and reliable car than any 129/140 .

Also , don’t overlook that car’s successor .
They aren't pretty or photogenic but in the metal they are such big, bad leviathans I just can't help but love them. German engineering to the extreme.

The huge AMG wheels really set them off.

Last edited:
The coupe with the W140 saloon front end looks so much better.

Ended up buying a 1993 BMW 520i with a ‘recorded 61k’ miles on the clock, 3 previous owners and pretty much mint inside for 2 grand. I’ve just come back from a drive around Europe in it covering over 2k miles. It’s a flat 6 auto with near enough new as cloth trim minus the rear seat base which has a big oil looking stain on it.

This one is a keeper, before I set off my mechanic gave it a full clean bill of health mechanically, I’m gonna get the odd rust spot, minor dent and scratches all fixed and maybe a full respray. The AC has a leek somewhere around the pipes and the LED trip displays dodgy. The back electric windows go down, but can jam so they need looked into as well. While in Belgium, we left our hotel in the morning and the car wouldn’t start, flat battery.

I typically brought the wrong jump kit, but luckily our recovery come out in under 30 mins. Our breakdown guy got us started, but on checking the battery over, it clearly needed replaced so I just bought a new one from his mobile stock with 2 year warranty for 120 quid. It drive effortless and I love it. I got 120mph out of it and for 85 quid to fill the tank, I got 440 miles out of one tank of fuel, and that’s with luggage, tents, me and my mate and me driving it between 70-90 here and upto 120 abroad.

For 2k, it’s a hell of a lot of car for the money. I plan to budget 2k more to make it mint as possible in terms of the interior and body, mechanically it’s a beast.

Last edited:

It’s not easy just to dash away somewhere 280 miles away to view a car at the drop of a hat when you’re running a business. It’s not how I’d do business, but I’m not bitter, everyone is different and in future I’ll not be so naive and put a deposit down or something. It wouldn’t prevent me doing business with the dealer again though, as ever with older cars and indeed newer cars, the car alone will indicate what kind of punt you’re taking on it, not the dealer. The Mercedes in question looked a great example though and I’m still looking.

The BMW I bought it from the same people I got my CLS55 from, gutted about having to cancel my trip to view the W140 I spent all of that (Saturday) day looking around the local dealers just out of boredom with a day off and saw the BMW, the dealer who I know quite well, just said here have the keys and keep it for a few hours, I ended up driving it around for 30 mins and it was listed for £3,200, but he said I could have it for 2k cash as they predominantly sell higher end high performance cars or cheap modern cars and this may have sat with them for a good while. That and I’m sure the old chap who part exes it for a newer 5 series was given probably a grand for it anyway.

I told him I’d let him know by Monday. From there I went to a dealer I’ve bought 7 cars from in the past, one being a BMW 635 CSI. I nearly bought a 2011 BMW M3 convertible in mint condition, low miles, lovely colour and fully loaded from them quite liking the thought of blasting around Europe in it, but I really liked the 29 year old 5 series and wantedvan older car so I thought f@ck it and got that. Again 2k is for nothing. They MOTd it, it needed a rear break light bulb and my mechanic who looks after our fleet of vans gave it a thumbs up after a day looking it over.

Last edited:
It's a straight 6.

I had one...got it in 1993 to 1999...put 108000 on it. Great car. Though, because it didn't rust I thought all cars had stopped...then I got a W210!!!

Thank you all for your advice, comments and info regarding the original topic btw, much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom