1995 S500 coupe - tempted/things to look out for/ask?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely straight 6 BMW Engine

And the other way!

image70623.jpg

That looks great, yet I don’t think the reverse swap with the saloon-coupe looks quite as good. The S class W140 saloon for me is the best of the S classes looks wise. The coupe again is a bit of an ugly duckling, but I love a quirky looking car and in many ways it’s a beautiful car from every profile IMO.

Nice looking 5 Series. 2.0 being a 6 cylinder was a little more juicy but worth it for that smoothness. I think they are 150BHP on the E36 320 so I guess around the same for the E34 5.

I remember whilst at a client site well over 20 years ago now the IT Manager had one and we drove to a supermarket in it at lunchtime. Very smooth, quiet and well-put together.

For me, one of the "proper" BMWs.

The AC has a leek somewhere around the pipes

Previous owner was probably Welsh. :D

Nice looking 5 Series. 2.0 being a 6 cylinder was a little more juicy but worth it for that smoothness. I think they are 150BHP on the E36 320 so I guess around the same for the E34 5.

I remember whilst at a client site well over 20 years ago now the IT Manager had one and we drove to a supermarket in it at lunchtime. Very smooth, quiet and well-put together.

For me, one of the "proper" BMWs.

Previous owner was probably Welsh. :D

Yep it’s very smooth and once up the revs and gears it can pull. I got bang on 520 miles on one tank the other day from it according to the dash display thing and that’s with some spirited driving once or twice, I’ve actually done just over 3,500 miles in it now since I got it and touch would it hasn’t missed a beat yet. I don’t think I’ve done that all year in the E63 and I’m seriously tempted to get rid of it, keep the BMW as a daily driver for all my driving needs for a year or so and save some good money up towards something else a bit different away from AMGs.

I’m still keen to experience a W140 though and even a more modern S class and if a very good example in saloon or coupe version comes along I’m gonna be interested. I would love a mint W140 like one of these and probably would pay the going rate if I could get away with it...

You Know You Want to: Mercedes S70 AMG | PistonHeads

What a machine! For 2k though, so is my BMW, a proper car I’d say, when I slap the side if my door driving along in the E63 it feels almost hallow compared to the rock solid feel doing the same in the E34.

Yep it’s very smooth and once up the revs and gears it can pull. I got bang on 520 miles on one tank the other day from it according to the dash display thing and that’s with some spirited driving once or twice, I’ve actually done just over 3,500 miles in it now since I got it and touch would it hasn’t missed a beat yet. I don’t think I’ve done that all year in the E63 and I’m seriously tempted to get rid of it, keep the BMW as a daily driver for all my driving needs for a year or so and save some good money up towards something else a bit different away from AMGs.

I’m still keen to experience a W140 though and even a more modern S class and if a very good example in saloon or coupe version comes along I’m gonna be interested. I would love a mint W140 like one of these and probably would pay the going rate if I could get away with it...

You Know You Want to: Mercedes S70 AMG | PistonHeads

What a machine! For 2k though, so is my BMW, a proper car I’d say, when I slap the side if my door driving along in the E63 it feels almost hallow compared to the rock solid feel doing the same in the E34.

Does it have the "economy" needle at the bottom of the speedo? My E36 325s had that and what a waste of time that was...

Running that E34 for a year could well see you with very little outlay on repairs and no depreciation unless it dies.

The only thing is the E34 will not be anything like as safe as your E63 as you already know but the quality is there on the E34.

I like the idea of a W140 but anything remotely interesting is too much money now.

I considered them when an S500 was £2k or less. Now they seem to have risen to twice / four times that which is too rich for me.

That S70 is a beast... immense car. I'd hate to have to pay to have it repaired if it was something serious though!

Does it have the "economy" needle at the bottom of the speedo? My E36 325s had that and what a waste of time that was...

Running that E34 for a year could well see you with very little outlay on repairs and no depreciation unless it dies.

The only thing is the E34 will not be anything like as safe as your E63 as you already know but the quality is there on the E34.

I like the idea of a W140 but anything remotely interesting is too much money now.

I considered them when an S500 was £2k or less. Now they seem to have risen to twice / four times that which is too rich for me.

That S70 is a beast... immense car. I'd hate to have to pay to have it repaired if it was something serious though!

It’s got E mode that’s all I know, along with sport which neither seem to make much difference...

Yeah regarding safety, I’ve noticed the huge difference in breaking once or twice! W140s are daft prices right now for the better examples and the not so good ones are massive money pits and huge risks. I do love the shape, classic engineering, the style and the mechanicals though. I missed out on a 2002 s500 local to me a while back, low miles, fully loaded, needed some minor body work, but looked the business. The S70 is indeed a beast, again what a machine, but as you said, if anything goes wrong... ouch ouch ouch! The BM, if it dies on me, I’ll make decent money from the interior, wheels etc. alone. For 2k, I think it’s a massive no brainier bargain and I’m gonna get some quotes regarding the rust bubbles (minor), scratches (minor) and maybe even for a full respray! I just love the thing! It’s a keeper and I’ve added another 100 plus miles alone since my update post just around the doors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom