1995 SL500 Strange "Whining" Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tmwsccsh

Car
1998 CL420, 1994 Ford Mustang Convertible
Hi all,

I hope someone can give me a pointer on the below.

The SL likes to make a whining noise when turning the steering wheel when she's cold. In a straight line, all is fine, but turn the wheel left or right and this sound eminates from the front.

It doesn't do it once the engine gets to around 80 degrees indicated or if the car goes over 2,000 rpm before that temperature is reached. Once she's at temperature all is fine.

Anyone got any ideas as to what could be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

Could be the power steering pump, have you checked the fluid level?

Check in the handbook to see if checking the fluid level is mentioned. If not I'll go and have a look under my bonnet tomorrow!

As your standing in front of the car looking at the engine you'll see a black hose coming from the thermostat housing slap bang in the middle of the engine, which then joins to the radiator. behind this hose you will notice a round can looking thing with a black knob on top, unscrew the black knob, lift off the lid and inside the can should be some lovely smelly reddish (i think) oil. have a look and see if you can see a min/max level cast into the inside of the canister.
1995 Mercedes Benz SL500 192k miles - YouTube
it's the big silver can at the front of the engine.

Right, I think I found it...

IMG-20130831-01574.jpg

It would appear that I am slightly low on fluid in this case...

IMG-20130831-01573.jpg

Off to Halfrauds to get some Power Steering Fluid I go!

Thanks for the pointers guys.

TMW

what power steering fluid will you be putting in?

More to the point, best check where its gone. I suspect one of your hoses might be leaking.

QUOTE=Sp!ke;1769326]what power steering fluid will you be putting in?.[/QUOTE]

According to the guide in Halfrauds, their Advanced Automatic and Power Steering Fluid - that's the one recommended for the model year I have.

Priced at £12.99 for 1 litre and then went through at £8.99 at the till. I'm not complaining!

TMW

As Sp!ke says the question is why the level was that low. Best option is a leaking hose, more expensive would be the pump and worst case the steering rack.

Just keep an eye on the fluid level after you've topped up. Check it once a week or so, if you notice the level dropping just have a quick check around where the pipes connect to the steering box. Maybe best to look from under the wheel arch cos that engine kinda fills the engine bay.

It doesnt get that low for no reason.. you will have a leak somewhere. On that year the pumps themselves have been known to leak.

Hi have you checked the passenger seat,sometimes you get a whining noise coming from there,just a thought.

He mentioned in an earlier post it only makes a sound when turning the wheels, a clear indication of low power steering fluid. The sound he can hear is the power steering pump straining to pump fluid that just isn't there, this can also be seen in the picture he posted of the steering pump with the lid off, It's empty.

Hi sorry Mick 1982 but I was referring to the whining noise coming from the front seat area in more playful way,the whining I meant was from the female of the species.

Ah ok my bad. Seems my sarcasm/humour detectors have failed me again. May I extend my humblest apologies to you good sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom